Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 7 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we would, didn't the NAM verify well with the last storm?

Honestly, I look at so much of this stuff I have no real idea.  I was focusing heavily on the RGEM at the time, and it was modeling us too cold.

The HRRR was all over the place.. with precip placement and what kind for us along with the RAP though.

4k nam vs hrrr.  hrrr has no precip into rdu really. im siding with the hrrr.  drizzle with a wet flake or two before drying out.

Gut says we'll be hard pressed to get moisture that far inland, I-95 special seems right to me or maybe just east of I-95. Reflectivity on the HRRR on tropicaltidbits is likely wrong as it's not a snowly look early over Wake County...it's algorithm doesn't seem right for this system that relies solely on dynamic cooling. We need a killer band, if we could get one over Wake then look out...column would get saturated and cool rather quickly, overwhelming any lower level warm noses and we'd get pasted. Just may be a hair too east for us.

Gut says we'll be hard pressed to get moisture that far inland, I-95 special seems right to me or maybe just east of I-95. Reflectivity on the HRRR on tropicaltidbits is likely wrong as it's not a snowly look early over Wake County...it's algorithm doesn't seem right for this system that relies solely on dynamic cooling. We need a killer band, if we could get one over Wake then look out...column would get saturated and cool rather quickly, overwhelming any lower level warm noses and we'd get pasted. Just may be a hair too east for us.

every friggin model has heavy precip just stop as it hits the wall that is wake county.  at least i'll have the super bowl to keep me from getting bitter as areas south and east get 2-4".

every friggin model has heavy precip just stop as it hits the wall that is wake county.  at least i'll have the super bowl to keep me from getting bitter as areas south and east get 2-4".

meh no one down this way is holding their breath, might be SE NC get that but even up here at PGV we are on the outside looking in and we got blanked in the last one as well.....

There are flurries near Brick already! Start the obs thread!

meh no one down this way is holding their breath, might be SE NC get that but even up here at PGV we are on the outside looking in and we got blanked in the last one as well.....

idk, hrrr looks really good for eastern 3rd of nc.  heavy bands = heavy wet snow that will stick easy.  i think and hope you cash in on this one!

idk, hrrr looks really good for eastern 3rd of nc.  heavy bands = heavy wet snow that will stick easy.  i think and hope you cash in on this one!

We will see, temp is 40 on my porch but clouds are here, 100 miles north its 28 lol hope that north wind gets going and drags some of that this way, a strong low moving more N up the coast ought to do it too......again this is so close to a decent event for here and its most likely gonna whiff....

So is everyone buying the abrupt stop and 90 degree turn east at the Wake County line? Seems sketch.

I think It's due to the way it bombs out. As it bombs out, the low gets pulled west... but as its strengthening slows, the low corrects back eastward, hence the "90 degree turn". 

So is everyone buying the abrupt stop and 90 degree turn east at the Wake County line? Seems sketch.

It's not uncommon at all with bombing lows to stall and turn right (see the DC Mauler last month). It could happen. We'll see. It's a tight cutoff, so a 50 mile error will make a huge difference for places like Raleigh, though.

Archived