Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually thinking about this the other day... I'm not sure people realize how much time it takes to actually get the forecast rolled out. For us, for the 5pm news, the forecast has to pretty much be done for a big event by 230 or so. Graphics are made, web is updated, social media is done, briefings with management, conference calls about staffing, talking to our neighboring NBC owned stations, talking to the other mets, reading reporter scripts, holding meetings with producers, etc takes a lot of time.

We can't just change the forecast on a dime when looking at 18z runs. Hell, it's hard to even make relatively minor changes.

It's pretty similar with the NWS from what I understand. Briefings with media and emergency management, typing up products, working on stuff for web/social media, getting the grids to look just right. That stuff takes a lot of time to do and you can't start backing off on some products when other products or briefings have already taken place. 

Wow...thanks for some perspective on the matter.

Never realized, but now that you say that, it makes sense.

There's something to this, the public's definition of blizzard is not precisely the same as the nws's definition. They should consider changing it to snow warning plus wind warning when applicable in my opinion.

Yeah, many have no clue about blizzard parameters. I think they should bring back the "heavy snow" warnings.

You can always toss in a "we're watching a possible trend towards xxx, tune in at 11 for the latest".  There's not really anywhere besides the AFD for NWS to do that.  I guess the ability to be a bit ahead of the mainstream media is what keeps us weenies looking at the models and hanging out in here.

Yup - and that's what we do and they do as well. Once the train leaves the station it's hard to bring it back. 

Yup - and that's what we do and they do as well. Once the train leaves the station it's hard to bring it back.

most people get their real time updates from Apps of some sort now a days anyways. The old days of waiting for the 11pm news for updates are long gone. I kind of miss that although many a 11pm update broke the heart of a young weenie. Eric Fisher brought up another old way of doing things that has been taken away. Listening to the radio TV at 6 in the AM for the list of school closings, now a days they cancel them by 9pm the night before. My work phone blew up with calls when the Auto Alert warning sent out by OKX went out to all smart phones. Lol I wanted to reply Meh but just couldn't

Archived