joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Banter

JoshM

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happened to the southeast snowstorm?  I can't remember when's the last time we got a storm that went from california, through texas, along the gulf coast to up the atlantic coast...and was SNOW, not sleet mixed and freezing rain.  Whatever happened to snowstorms?  We get lucky here and there with mix jobs, winter weather.  But it seems like it's been forever we've gotten a good 4 inch snowstorm...

I live in SC. I can't remember the last time I saw snow fall on 5 different occasions like I have this winter. Some moderate...some flurries. Either way, it has not been the abysmal sulfur pit people are suggesting.

Sorry I don't count a dusting that is gone within an hour of falling. This winter has been pathetic. But par for the course. At least for CAE.

Whatever happened to the southeast snowstorm? I can't remember when's the last time we got a storm that went from california, through texas, along the gulf coast to up the atlantic coast...and was SNOW, not sleet mixed and freezing rain. Whatever happened to snowstorms? We get lucky here and there with mix jobs, winter weather. But it seems like it's been forever we've gotten a good 4 inch snowstorm...

lack of a -nao.

Whatever happened to the southeast snowstorm?  I can't remember when's the last time we got a storm that went from california, through texas, along the gulf coast to up the atlantic coast...and was SNOW, not sleet mixed and freezing rain.  Whatever happened to snowstorms?  We get lucky here and there with mix jobs, winter weather.  But it seems like it's been forever we've gotten a good 4 inch snowstorm...

So far, I have a total of a dusting.  I did have a major ice storm.  But it's unbelievable how hard it is to get even an inch of snow...never mind your four inch extravaganza!

Love when people make the call before the run is over. Anyway, see what the ensembles say later. Just need it further east off the coast.

LOL!   :lmao: ... I love it when people that haven't looked at a model run in 5 years criticize those that do for making a call before the run is over.

C'mon Brick...I try to give you the benefit of the doubt sometimes but this one I couldn't help.

lack of a -nao.

Yeah, that's the thing even with the -NAO it hasn't gotten us snow.  This year when we had a nice -nao period, the blizzard came but we essentially got a sleet fest.  Even in the -nao years 09-10 and 10-11 clt got nickeled and dimed with a bit of snow/sleet mixes.  Yeah it helps, but even when we get it, the south outside the mountains can't seem to score. 

So far, I have a total of a dusting.  I did have a major ice storm.  But it's unbelievable how hard it is to get even an inch of snow...never mind your four inch extravaganza!

Yeah, cause that would just be CRAZY!! lol. Happened in the 80s a bunch.  Last good clean snowstorm was my favorite Feb 2004.  Haven't had anything close to that since.  But that did have a -nao if I recall and it was the great southern stream track from cali, texas, gulf, up the coast.  I don't even need a foot, I just want 4 good inches!! :snowing::cry:

Call me crazy, but the last 4 or 5 years I feel like this has been one of the best ways to predict if you're going to get snow.

If you consistently find yourself inside the 2 inch line on the Euro EPS snowfall mean on weatherbell, then you are money. If you are outside of this line then it's a long shot.

Of course that line changes from run to run, but in the 4/5/6 day timeframe, you need to be inside that line more than outside to have a good chance.

Call me crazy, but the last 4 or 5 years I feel like this has been one of the best ways to predict if you're going to get snow.

If you consistently find yourself inside the 2 inch line on the Euro EPS snowfall mean on weatherbell, then you are money. If you are outside of this line then it's a long shot.

Of course that line changes from run to run, but in the 4/5/6 day timeframe, you need to be inside that line more than outside to have a good chance.

that has not worked too well up here.

Sorry I don't count a dusting that is gone within an hour of falling. This winter has been pathetic. But par for the course. At least for CAE.

Pffffttttt.....I haven't even seen a dusting  :whistle: 

Don't worry, it'll set in around Memorial Day.

Yes it will  ;) 

Probably, and go positive in oct.

Yes it will  ;) 

in a La Nina Year, I doubt it. 

Some of the best snows come from a Nina following a strong Nino  :D  

Dang it. I only get excited with Shawn gets excited. 

Move up here to Greenville. We need more South Carolina fans up here. 

That would be nice.  I think Id have to go a bit further towards the tip of the state though.  Sadly, when we get a nice one down here, you guys end up with less or even none many more times than not.

when was the last time Columbia rec'd measurable snowfall? was it the freak Halloween storm several years ago :(

November 1st, 2014.  The problem was, it was very small.. the areas that saw much of anything down this way.  Southeast of my location in Lexington,SC ended up with 4-5 inches while it fell.  Quickly melted and I don't consider it a huge deal for Columbia at all as most just saw brief flakes.

Edit:  Our last true snowfall for the majority of the area was Feb 2010.  Feb 2014 produced a mess of sleet and ice.

Archived