Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2016 Banter

JoshM

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of you guys are very knowledgeable in weather. Where do you guys get your weather knowledge from?

Personally... a lot came from my days growing up watching Willard Scott up in the DC area, watching the old (AOPA)? (is that what is was???) forecasts on early morning Public TV, and my Dad's knack of tracking coastal storms and hurricanes back in the 60's & 70's. Got to listening to weather forecasts on scanners, before they became the robotic 'automated voice'. A big influence was Wally DeMaurice from the now defunct Cape Hatteras Weather Station. 10 years later, when that station was absorbed, the Internet came along. Over time, I picked and chose what weather sites I would look at and follow.

There are a LOT of good ones out there. I've decided on the sites I follow along with. My favorites might not be yours. I've kind of settled in in here, though. As many members as this forum/sub-forum has, I've actually only met one member, and that was long before we met here in an entirely different setting :)

I have no book knowledge of weather. I would guess that something you see posted here frequently ... "Read more, post less", still applies to me, although I've been following weather in earnest since the 60's. Back then, I even had to get a letter from the Weather Service written to my Catholic School teacher, Sr. Ann Dennis, that those long streaky clouds that you sometimes see were actually from passenger jets (decades before the chemtrail activists). To be honest, the Nun was actually impressed that I pursued it that far.

As just an interested weather enthusiast, I don't think you can ever stop learning. Yes, I often "read more, post less". I check out links others post. I try to decipher some of the discussions. I have my block of weather links that not only give me my local weather, but the weather in the surrounding areas.

I've pretty much locked in here (Americanwx.com) for my personal knowledge in the last several years, though. There are so many participants that cover the whole spectrum of the weather field.

I'm really glad and fortunate to have stumbled across this collection of misfits several years ago :D

Normally, I want a foot of snow but am OK with a little rain or it being dry with the Monday/Tuesday event for two reasons.

- I coach and we start mini camp Monday.

- Going to the dook game Wednesday and don't want Kay and the minions to have another excuse not to make the 7 mile.

Archived