joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This pattern could produce a very BIG storm for somebody.

Yeah, that combo's for the last week in Feb has got me hanging back from the cliff for the winter.  Want to see where that takes us.  Need an active STJ to go with it though I think.  We'll either be cold and dry, or basking in snowy glory! Yearly late Feb storm persistence FTW?

I think some of that has to do with statistical maneuvering.  Maybe in March, we have more cut-offs that can generate enough cold through dynamics that allow for snow.  But IMO, a -NAO is one of the best features we can rely upon to both suppress the storm track and allow cold air to penetrate deep into the south and remain in place longer.  Any way you slice it, the -NAO, if sufficient in magnitude, positioning, and configuration widens the window for SE winter storms.  Show me statistics all you want, but synoptics tell me all I need to know about the importance of a -NAO when it comes to winter weather here.*

* DISCLAIMER for all the "NAO isn't necessary to get a winter storm" people:  A -NAO isn't necessary to get a winter storm -- a good winter storm -- even a great winter storm.  But if I'm captain of the Winter Storm team, the -NAO is my first pick.

Thanks for that explanation and that makes very good sense. If I recall correctly, it was Bastardi who harped on this point a lot several years ago before he left AccuWx but of course, a lot of his iterations were to find the allusive snowstorm no matter the pattern.

Latter part of GFS run has 3 California to Texas waves.  In theory, this is what we should begin to see if we get the Ventrice map pattern posted above.  Aleutian Low extending well to the south should send waves into California instead of the Pac NW.  Whether there is any timed cold air is another matter.

I think some of that has to do with statistical maneuvering. Maybe in March, we have more cut-offs that can generate enough cold through dynamics that allow for snow. But IMO, a -NAO is one of the best features we can rely upon to both suppress the storm track and allow cold air to penetrate deep into the south and remain in place longer. Any way you slice it, the -NAO, if sufficient in magnitude, positioning, and configuration widens the window for SE winter storms. Show me statistics all you want, but synoptics tell me all I need to know about the importance of a -NAO when it comes to winter weather here.*

* DISCLAIMER for all the "NAO isn't necessary to get a winter storm" people: A -NAO isn't necessary to get a winter storm -- a good winter storm -- even a great winter storm. But if I'm captain of the Winter Storm team, the -NAO is my first pick.

Bricks a number 2!

CR, where are your creative daily indices?  Please bring them back...I need a good laugh to help ease the pain of our underperforming winter!  Maybe an early March storm will save us all!

Here you go sir!  I haven't done it in a while as things have just been kind of meandering.  Plus, I've been a little busier.

post-987-0-05632700-1455306750_thumb.jpg

post-987-0-74084900-1455306766_thumb.jpg

Latter part of GFS run has 3 California to Texas waves.  In theory, this is what we should begin to see if we get the Ventrice map pattern posted above.  Aleutian Low extending well to the south should send waves into California instead of the Pac NW.  Whether there is any timed cold air is another matter.

100% agree.  We finally settle into a good El Nino pattern as winter winds down.

No, that doesn't happen any more. 

Seriously, when's the last time that's happened?  Everything this winter has seemed to drop in from the Rockies.  And I can't remember when we've had a southern stream storm go from CA, TX, to the SE the last few years.

No, that doesn't happen any more. 

Seriously, when's the last time that's happened?  Everything this winter has seemed to drop in from the Rockies.  And I can't remember when we've had a southern stream storm go from CA, TX, to the SE the last few years.

2/14/14.  It was kind of weak coming into CA, but amplified later with northern stream phasing

I thought farther south and east you went the wetter it would be but I didn't think central NC/SC/GA would be this dry. I also didn't think we would be at 1" of snow though mid Feb either. Low expectations aren't low enough it seems. Thinking we skunk with a big Nina next year, can't get lower than that.

1f5000050d0bc56d78c8a2dd1cd704cb.jpg

We = GSO not RDU. We finished at 6". We won't come close to that this winter. I do think you will hit climo, at a minimum.

I think RDU hit climo still, though.  Not sure we're going to hit climo here this winter.  We need 5-6" more.  Maybe we can chop half of that off if we score with the upcoming wintry mix storm, but we're still going to need another before winter ends and the clock is ticking (of course, as I said we had 0" last year until Fab Feb 16th and ended with 9.9", so who knows?).

Looking at the 6z GFS, and it would indicate that there is potential the last part of February going into March. So just maybe we get one more opportunity before spring takes over.

I get all giddy whenever I see a low off the SE coast and cold air around Mar 1-3, hoping lightning can strike twice.....also one of the bigger snows of my life happened in late Feb back in 1989 close to a foot. 

1980 was the same for the outer banks. We used to say it was going to snow every time the circus was in Norfolk. Sure enough, that did happen 6 out of 7 years in the last week of feb, first week of march. Half of Dare Beaches EMS crew actually got snowed in at the HR Coliseum, and the rest of us had to pull a 60 hour shift until they could get back.

06z GEFS panels

2/27-2/28 is pretty impressive this far out. Indications have been for a last rodeo for the last week of Feb for a while now. This will likely not change for the worse as we get closer, only can change for the best IMO.

C5kCGP6.jpg

WnM9dMa.jpg

Winter is over, at this point people are grasping at imaginary straws in this thread. Torch is incoming. Great way to end February.

Classic. I hope you enjoy your rain Monday! Must be exciting down there! I'll enjoy my day off tomorrow watching the flakes fly all morning.

Archived