• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

Geez... lots of mega hits on the 18z GEFS ensembles.. I think over half of them are giving me at least 2 or 3 inches.

Its safe to say that all solutions are still on the table at this point. Right now, the best forecast is probably going with a blend of the gfs and euro ensemble means.

Yeah, I'll take 14 or 15 now please!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that stinks,

I was thinking since it's showing the 12z run that it would start loading images at some point. What is the latest time it usually comes out, (if it does load).

I'm starting to think we've missed our window for 12z run to load...

Yeah, doubt the 12z is coming, it's really late. 00z will roll in by the morning hopefully.

Could Monday morning end up like the January 25, 2013 event? Same setup I think. Very cold/dry airmass in place that friday morning (cold high pressure wedge centered in the Carolinas) when precip moved in. strong WAA sent temps surging into the 60s as far east as east AL while the Carolinas and N GA stayed AOB freezing with winter precip. I wonder what could be different with this system?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=icestorm_01252013

I know this is off topic but since this thread is sort of dead right now.....what happened to Larry, I do not see him posting any this winter.

Sorry if it has already been discussed, just wondered. He was a big member of the SE crew.

He posts on another forum now. I think there was a poster who who chased him away or something.

Since both of the "pending" storms have threads of their own......anyone have any insight on the next few weeks after Tuesday and what we are looking at temp wise? Normal? Above? Below?

Kind of like our last post widespread January storm pattern.......quickly back to normal with a few days of Above Normal. 60s+ possible all the way back to the Blue Ridge. If this does indeed occur, it may try to balance out again with a strong storm and cold air period in March.

Since both of the "pending" storms have threads of their own......anyone have any insight on the next few weeks after Tuesday and what we are looking at temp wise? Normal? Above? Below?

warm next weekend so get out and enjoy it. After that, it gets cold again with a huge ridge out west. Massive pna and -epo.

Looking at the ensembles, we get a little warm-up and then go into a pattern with an insane -EPO/+PNA combo.  Looks like the STJ is active too.  Aleutian low is in a good spot and of course, you guessed it, no -NAO whatsoever.  Means we could get decent timing here or there.  It's not a SE winter storm pattern, but it keeps us in the game, especially the western and northern zones.

The 0z GFS has a nice STJ signal the last few days of its run.  And the MJO is getting around the horn in a hurry, which is good.

For some reason, I though a -NAO was less impactful as we headed toward March? Wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong.

I think some of that has to do with statistical maneuvering.  Maybe in March, we have more cut-offs that can generate enough cold through dynamics that allow for snow.  But IMO, a -NAO is one of the best features we can rely upon to both suppress the storm track and allow cold air to penetrate deep into the south and remain in place longer.  Any way you slice it, the -NAO, if sufficient in magnitude, positioning, and configuration widens the window for SE winter storms.  Show me statistics all you want, but synoptics tell me all I need to know about the importance of a -NAO when it comes to winter weather here.*

* DISCLAIMER for all the "NAO isn't necessary to get a winter storm" people:  A -NAO isn't necessary to get a winter storm -- a good winter storm -- even a great winter storm.  But if I'm captain of the Winter Storm team, the -NAO is my first pick.

* DISCLAIMER for all the "NAO isn't necessary to get a winter storm" people:  A -NAO isn't necessary to get a winter storm -- a good winter storm -- even a great winter storm.  But if I'm captain of the Winter Storm team, the -NAO is my first pick.

GREAT way of putting it

Archived