Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro also trended better with the light snows across the southeast Mon-Tues....digs the trough a little more southwest this run. It actually looked a little better than the GFS for Monday

Man, if that low develops a little more south, NC could get crushed. VA northward gets crushed, as modeled, but it's so close. (talking about the Monday-Tuesday system)

Of course, that's a scenario that almost never plays out, aside from maybe January 2003.

I noticed the 00z GGEM ENS look fairly good for the weekend event.

Sun/Sun night so close to being a decent hit for MBY just need it 3-4 degrees colder ( as always)

I don't really think it trends well for east of 95, if it does I'm worried about mixing/rain. Pulling for you guys with this one.

I can see this trending NW as I mentioned earlier today, but I do wonder if the GFS is too strong with the closing off 5h wave. That needs to be strong in order to get the colder temps and to get the precip thrown back inland....being that this is a late bloomer with precip developing right on top of us

I honestly don't see how it can, the next trough is fast on its heels not giving it any room to amplify. Hopefully that trough can dig more .

I don't think WNC has much of a shot in it...but it can easily trend north and west. Has a very PGV special look to me.  Of course I say that so it'll probably trend more for WNC at 12z.

These almost always correct slightly NW inside of 48hrs. With that being said, the look is good from Columbia up to Raleigh. Snow chances are largely going to be dependent on the depth of the 500mb low. A lot of fun is made about dynamical cooling, generating its old cold air, welp, that's the situation here. With a lack of parent high, attendant cold airmass, heights falls on the backside are going to need to be sufficiently deep enough to drive to boundary to isothermal with heavy wet snow. Where is going to be a function of the 850 track, right now I would say the 850 gets going over Columbia and comes off around Myrtle Beach.

Looking into next weeks clipper, the 0z GFS BUFKIT ratios were at 25:1! That would squeeze out 3.5" out of the .12 that falls. I'm about as excited as one can get about a clipper a week out. We'll see how it goes. 

That's definitely some cold air that could produce (higher ratios). All we need are some upper level disturbances to pass through and we will be in business. That trough is deep so our chances are higher than normal.  

What a nice problem this would be to have; trends have been decent so they could continue..

Snippet from FFC AFD..

THE PROBLEM THEN BECOMES ANOTHER UPPER LOW/TROUGH DEVELOPS OVER
THE MID U.S. AND SPREADS MOISTURE ACROSS THE AREA WITH A
RELATIVELY COLD AIRMASS IN PLACE STARTING MONDAY. THE AIRMASS
GETS REINFORCED BY A COLD FRONT MONDAY INTO TUESDAY. A MIX OF RAIN
AND SNOW SHOWERS WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH THIS PERIOD AND THE OVERALL
TRENDS WILL HAVE TO BE WATCHED OVER THE COMING DAYS AS TO HOW COLD...
TIMING AND ANY SIGNIFICANT SNOW AMOUNTS

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=FFC&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

for the late week clippers, para GFS drives the rain/snow line to the rigs in the gulf. 

This is really my hope for CLT to see a few flakes fall.  It'll be nice and cold so wouldn't need to worry about mixing.  Not that it's going to be enough moisture to accumulate I don't think, but it'll be nice to see. 

Archived