SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this what is called a blocked flow? Radar looks like snow is not making past west side of the greens, the entire length of the spine.

Flow was blocked, in fact very blocked in the afternoon, gradually becoming unblocked during the overnight. But you have to be careful with the radar presentation, because the Greens will block a lot of the radar echo and make it seems as if precip isn't making it over the spine.

Flow was blocked, in fact very blocked in the afternoon, gradually becoming unblocked during the overnight. But you have to be careful with the radar presentation, because the Greens will block a lot of the radar echo and make it seems as if precip isn't making it over the spine.

That's true about the radar.  On the nexrad radar, I switch from the default "base reflectivity" to the "composite reflectivity" because I think it gives a better representation east of the spine.  I might be totally wrong about that, but that's what I look at.

Yeah it's always a challenge with the radar. Like this morning it was still all west side echoes but MPV well downwind was getting 1sm-3sm vis steady light snow all night.

The change in blocking, as you stated, was why BTV got 2" yesterday evening and then on the east side we got 2" later on as it became unblocked. The mountains and like JSpin in the middle win either way, which is where the 3-6" type accums are.

Nice snowy day at Bretton Woods, and bright blue skies on the other side of the notch in Bartlett. If all goes well, I'll be moving to Bretton Woods in the Spring! P&S signed. I need more upslope in my life.  :weenie:

Hopefully it all goes well and you move to Bretton Woods.  A nice high quality webcam would be great.  Don't have many NNE members that live in the Whites!

Hopefully it all goes well and you move to Bretton Woods.  A nice high quality webcam would be great.  Don't have many NNE members that live in the Whites!

I'll need your help with that. I got a y-cam at the rental house that I have at Bretton Woods, but it hardly ever works. In Bartlett, I have a Logitech Alert and that doesn't broadcast over the web. I'd love to have a nice camera!

The place is incredible. Right at the entrance of Bretton Woods on the Twin Mountain side, less than 2 miles from the base lodge, on 32 acres with 1 mile of river frontage, 5 beaches on the river, and surrounded by National Forest on all sides. We're looking to develop it SOME, although what we can do is limited by the streams and wetland. Very cool property though, I can't wait! Supposed to close on April 12th. 

I’ve done my best to put together the snow totals for the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Petros; some areas don’t have 72-hour snow totals, just 48-hour totals, so those will be missing the bit of front end snow that was received.  The north to south listing is below:

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 1”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 7”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 9”

Middlebury: 3”

Pico: 8”

Killington: 8”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 5”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 2”

It looks like in general the high elevations in the stretch from Stowe down to Killington saw the most accumulation, with Sugarbush topping the list at 9 inches.

We build???

Well, it was certainly an increase in snowpack depth, although it might not have been an increase with respect to total water content in the snowpack for our location.  I’m actually impressed at how well the snowpack held up considering that of the 2.53” of water from Winter Storm Petros, 2.22” (~88%) fell as liquid and only 0.31” (~12%) fell as frozen.  We never got too warm though, so that really seemed to minimize the damage to the snowpack.

Alex, lots of webcams and features.  I am not a techy type person.  I have my older Netcam but recently bought a NEST security cam for $169.  You basically take it out of the box and plug it in to any house outlet.  It is very simple to use.  It is made for indoor use but just point it out of any window.  It zooms and can notify you if there is motion or noise.  You can share the stream with other people and easily make time lapse videos.  If you want to store the stream for $100 a year the stream is uploaded to their cloud.  Very clear wide angle picture.  Here is my share stream site, check it out sometime.  https://video.nest.com/live/CNqA9P

It was windy so I couldn't fly for long but took this today:

12615507_10103146744525659_7793619267624

Nice.  I really wanted to fly my drone with all the ice the other day.  It was just raining lightly but was worried wet props could bring it down.  Yesterday morning there were so many low cloud layers but again couldn't fly cause of wind.  It was really gusty today so didn't chance it.  I think your Phantom is better in the wind since it has a smaller frame.  The deer are always in my fields and I keep wanting to make videos by flying near them.  My land is tough to fly low because of the slope.  The front fields with the pond with deer are lower in elevation so I am actually flying down.  The typhoons FPV screen is not as good as using a smartphone like you do so flying at 10 or 15 feet above ground is nerve racking since I could misjudge and crash.  You must really be enjoying your investment since you love photography so much!  Take lots of pictures from different elevations and looking straight down and publish a book  "Looking down on the Greens from above".  So many shots are now possible that never could be seen before.

Nice.  I really wanted to fly my drone with all the ice the other day.  It was just raining lightly but was worried wet props could bring it down.  Yesterday morning there were so many low cloud layers but again couldn't fly cause of wind.  It was really gusty today so didn't chance it.  I think your Phantom is better in the wind since it has a smaller frame.  The deer are always in my fields and I keep wanting to make videos by flying near them.  My land is tough to fly low because of the slope.  The front fields with the pond with deer are lower in elevation so I am actually flying down.  The typhoons FPV screen is not as good as using a smartphone like you do so flying at 10 or 15 feet above ground is nerve racking since I could misjudge and crash.  You must really be enjoying your investment since you love photography so much!  Take lots of pictures from different elevations and looking straight down and publish a book  "Looking down on the Greens from above".  So many shots are now possible that never could be seen before.

There's nothing stopping you from connecting any phone or tablet to watch from the cgo cam if that will help you. The q500 video is much more for lining up shots vs. actual FPV flying since it has pretty bad lag.  You really want goggles and a low latency (analog) camera + vtx.  Even that is not perfect, there is interference and limited range and the picture looks like a vcr from 30 years ago.  I was thinking about making an FPV rig to quick attach on the gimbal mount on the q500, haven't gotten around to it yet.  Of course then you give up the ability to take 4k stabilized video.

This afternoon's visible really shows the lack of snowcover in Maine and NH.  Nothing in NH till you get into the Whites.  Vermont down to the Berkshires look to have some snow,  I'm guessing from last night.  Pretty amazing for February. 

Haha that's a pretty fun visible... I'm not sure what all these Vermonters and western Mass folks are complaining about.  Its obviously been snowier in those areas based on this image ;)

That's awesome, thanks for the info! I've seen your camera before and it looks great, always thought it was a much more expensive setup. Looks like I'll be going that way! I'll let you know when it's set up. The area in front of the house, looking towards Mt Washington, is kept clear by the National Forest Service for wildlife (apparently it's a moose hangout of sorts), so it would be pretty cool to point in that direction...

Alex, lots of webcams and features. I am not a techy type person. I have my older Netcam but recently bought a NEST security cam for $169. You basically take it out of the box and plug it in to any house outlet. It is very simple to use. It is made for indoor use but just point it out of any window. It zooms and can notify you if there is motion or noise. You can share the stream with other people and easily make time lapse videos. If you want to store the stream for $100 a year the stream is uploaded to their cloud. Very clear wide angle picture. Here is my share stream site, check it out sometime. https://video.nest.com/live/CNqA9P

I'll need your help with that. I got a y-cam at the rental house that I have at Bretton Woods, but it hardly ever works. In Bartlett, I have a Logitech Alert and that doesn't broadcast over the web. I'd love to have a nice camera!

The place is incredible. Right at the entrance of Bretton Woods on the Twin Mountain side, less than 2 miles from the base lodge, on 32 acres with 1 mile of river frontage, 5 beaches on the river, and surrounded by National Forest on all sides. We're looking to develop it SOME, although what we can do is limited by the streams and wetland. Very cool property though, I can't wait! Supposed to close on April 12th.

livin the dream,sounds fantastic

Received an email from Nonesuch in Scarborough, Maine today :

"After some rain and warm weather golf season is here! We will be opening the front nine tomorrow (2/26/16) at Noon, and will be open as long as the course is playable (fingers crossed for no more snow):

In 2012 the club I'm a member of opened the earliest ever after the record March warmth. We lost our shirt. The extra 5 weeks of operating expenses were not covered by extra revenue. Of course we are member owned and adding a month to the contract for our pro and the grounds staff was not budgeted for when the dues were set. We felt we needed to do it because the other courses in the area were opening. It's a tough call for small clubs with shallow pockets.

Received an email from Nonesuch in Scarborough, Maine today :

"After some rain and warm weather golf season is here! We will be opening the front nine tomorrow (2/26/16) at Noon, and will be open as long as the course is playable (fingers crossed for no more snow):

Saw that as well yesterday.  :thumbsup:

In 2012 the club I'm a member of opened the earliest ever after the record March warmth. We lost our shirt. The extra 5 weeks of operating expenses were not covered by extra revenue. Of course we are member owned and adding a month to the contract for our pro and the grounds staff was not budgeted for when the dues were set. We felt we needed to do it because the other courses in the area were opening. It's a tough call for small clubs with shallow pockets.

Nonesuch is pretty well known around Portland for opening whenever conditions allow. Get a good January thaw, and they'll be open for business.

Archived