joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2" of snow from last night, all gone.  High 49.5F and the winds really howled this afternoon.  Highest gust on the Davis only 31mph.  My Davis station is quite old.  Do the anemometer bearings go bad after time?  Seemed like gusts were higher.

15 second video from snow to bear ground   https://video.nest.com/clip/0589d590231641d49226bbe8194df0fc.mp4

Light rain@ the stowflake

Powderfreak can u send a shoutout when it's snowing at base level

I need snow! And a drink @ mtn lodge

Ha nice dude! Yeah I'll let ya know if I hear anything. I think it dries out before going back to snow at the base.

Snow level is sitting 2,500-3,000ft. BTV confirmed with Dual-Pol showing top of melting layer around 3,100ft and bottom around 2,600ft.

3.0" here on 0.19" LE, moist fluff.  Went ice fishing in Mt. Vernon, and by 10 AM no snow remained on the ice (walking, or shuffling to remain upright, was an adventure), and when I got home 3:30 the stake had the same 12" it showed before the snowfall.  2nd time this week I woke up to 3" new snow that failed to survive thru mid afternoon.  Is it April?

Here’s the north to south listing of available snowfall totals that I’ve seen for this event from the Vermont ski areas; the northernmost resorts seemed to pick up snow in the 4-6” range, with 1-4” south of there:

There was a nice dose of powder out there today, certainly nothing outrageous by NVT standards, but it was nice get back to at least a bit of a more normal surface with the way things have been over the past few weeks.  We didn’t ski last weekend with the subzero temperatures, but today’s weather was beautiful – the only caveat being that you had to stay high enough to be in the good powder.  I’ve added a couple of shots from Bolton Valley today, and there are a few more in our report at our website.

20FEB16A.jpg

20FEB16C.jpg

It was raining in town this morning, but snowing above 1,200ft.  Always a good way to start the day driving up the road and watch it almost instantly go from raining to snowing with greasy accums on the road.  That was some interesting driving just the last mile or two.

Bout a half inch of grease fell overnight at 1,500ft and 2" up at 3,000ft+.

Near perfect donut-pulling snow...fishtailing around.

Ice at Turee Pond from above.. I guess it's still safe, people were out there with an ATV.. Looking pretty springlike.

12-13" on Flying Pond in Mt. Vernon, plenty safe but less than half as much as this time last year.  I doubt it remain ice-fishable past mid March, with a shoreline ring of water preventing access to safe ice in the middle.  Or maybe Thursday's rain will end it in February.

Last week's rain sent 50 mushers away from Farmington disappointed, as trail conditions had deteriorated to where it was no longer safe for the dogs.  I'm beginning to wonder if even the Can-Am 250 out of Ft. Kent is safe.  This Iditirod qualifier is scheduled for March 4-7.

Hopefully you are skiing.

It's really good. Another 3" on upper half last night so 8" past 48 hours and it's dense. Jay Peak up to 14" now.

It's still snowing out. Probably some of the best conditions of the year from 2,500-4,000ft.

I would be out there if I wasn't on shift today.

Nice I think their base is 1800-2000ft too. Actually up to 4" now at 3,000ft since yesterday afternoon. Top half is unbelievably good.

Not so lucky here at Sugarbush. Missed out on most of the snow and got too warm yesterday. Fast and furious today. On the positve side, Most of the mountain is still open. Some ok skiing on Spillsville and Tumbler and a few others. Groomers have a lot of manmade and are edgeable and fast. Need snow or spring at this point.

I’ve updated the north to south listing of available snowfall totals that I’ve seen for this event from the Vermont ski areas; the resorts in the Northern Greens are definitely getting additional snow with Jay Peak past a foot; I didn’t see much for new accumulations south of Bolton Valley, so that seems to be about the cutoff point:

Jay Peak: 14”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 3”

Middlebury: 3”

Suicide Six: 1”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 3”

Bromley: 2”

Magic Mountain: 3”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 4”

Hit 100" at 3,000ft for cummulative snowfall, lol.

That seems right on track with what I’ve got – we just recently passed 50”, and 50% of the Bolton Valley/Stowe upper elevation snowfall is very typical for what I document at our site each season.

Hopefully you are skiing.

It's really good. Another 3" on upper half last night so 8" past 48 hours and it's dense. Jay Peak up to 14" now.

It's still snowing out. Probably some of the best conditions of the year from 2,500-4,000ft.

Thanks for the heads up PF – saw your post and immediately switched the skis on the rack from regulars to midfats.  I can only assume it’s going to be a step up from Bolton Valley yesterday, and that was already pretty nice.  North is definitely the way to go today – right as we were passing north out of Waterbury into Stowe the precipitation started to come down more vigorously, and it’s snow or a mix of rain/snow even down here in the valley.  That’s a good sign for even better things going on up high.  Precipitation changed over to all snow just as we hit The Matterhorn at around 1,000’

That seems right on track with what I’ve got – we just recently passed 50”, and 50% of the Bolton Valley/Stowe upper elevation snowfall is very typical for what I document at our site each season.

Thanks for the heads up PF – saw your post and immediately switched the skis on the rack from regulars to midfats. I can only assume it’s going to be a step up from Bolton Valley yesterday, and that was already pretty nice. North is definitely the way to go today – right as we were passing north out of Waterbury into Stowe the precipitation started to come down more vigorously, and it’s snow or a mix of rain/snow even down here in the valley. That’s a good sign for even better things going on up high. Precipitation changed over to all snow just as we hit The Matterhorn at around 1,000’

If you see this, the Gondi terrain is skiing nicest in my opinion. Waterfall to Perry Merrill, even Chin Clip is sweet till it gets damp at 2,000ft.

I was actually hoping you and the kids were coming out for the Sunday school programs, because as long as you understand the elevation dependency, the upper half is pretty damn fun skiing right now.

I always like reading the assessments from Spin and 'Freak.  They constantly show that all is a different world up in ski country, and many times much better than people in my neck of the woods are interpreting it.  Sounds like there is good skiing to be had...as expected in February contrary to what some may think.

Same what a nice day it was out ice fishing yesterday with a bunch of my Shriner brothers, I caught a nice Brookie to boot

Hope you had your creepers.  I did not, and by late morning when the -RA stopped the ice was puddle-covered slipperiness.  Did bring home tonight's dinner, however, a nice 4.5 lb bass, plus two smaller ones to put back.   

Hope you had your creepers. I did not, and by late morning when the -RA stopped the ice was puddle-covered slipperiness. Did bring home tonight's dinner, however, a nice 4.5 lb bass, plus two smaller ones to put back.

I did have my creepers on, I can't afford to take a digger with my back, About 1.5" of water on the ice made it quite slick

If you see this, the Gondi terrain is skiing nicest in my opinion. Waterfall to Perry Merrill, even Chin Clip is sweet till it gets damp at 2,000ft.

I was actually hoping you and the kids were coming out for the Sunday school programs, because as long as you understand the elevation dependency, the upper half is pretty damn fun skiing right now.

LOL PF, I didn’t see your message, but apparently great minds think alike – I immediately took my crew to the Gondi and never looked back.  We spent our entire time there and I wasn’t even tempted to take them anywhere else – it was basically “bird in hand”.  We’d hit on and off piste down to around 2,000’ and then run it out on the trails.  Up high there were plenty of nice spots where 8-10” of mid-weight powder had accumulated.  I had a few photo ops so I’ll see if I got any decent shots to post later.

Archived