Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never know...   My latest in season for measurable (May 14) and 1"+ (April 29) came in 2002, after a pretty awful winter.  The earliest dates for last measurable (March 11) and 1"+ (March 6) came in 2009, after a winter that saw snowpack peak at 49".

I had snow on May 25th a few years ago...it was probably the perfect setup at the latest possible time of the year for me to get accumulating snow (0.4"). I'm sure a similar "perfect" system for your location would push you into June.

Looks like Pittsburg Nh did ok. Finally getting to a 12" pack. 

Did my bi-weekly snow survey and we have a 12" snowpack at 1,550ft....containing a whopping 4.5" of water.  Once in the 33-50% range of water content, you're at like half ice and its also a "ripe" snowpack when it starts to warm up. 

Here's a funny one from this morning here in VT in the Burlington suburb of Richmond, VT.

Dugway Road (where Huntington Gorge is)... police responding for a VID (vehicle in ditch) call, the Richmond cruiser shows up first and goes into the ditch.  Then Williston PD offering mutual aid sends a cruiser, which also ends up in the ditch.

Guess it was icy.

12783730_505811912935029_152950444709971

Here’s what I’ve seen for snow totals for the Vermont ski areas from Winter Storm Quo; the north to south listing is below:

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 3”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

Just as one might imagine with way this storm transpired, I’d say the trend is as clear as day with respect to what happens as on heads south.

Here's a funny one from this morning here in VT in the Burlington suburb of Richmond, VT.

Dugway Road (where Huntington Gorge is)... police responding for a VID (vehicle in ditch) call, the Richmond cruiser shows up first and goes into the ditch. Then Williston PD offering mutual aid sends a cruiser, which also ends up in the ditch.

Guess it was icy.

12783730_505811912935029_152950444709971

That's hilarious if nobody was seriously hurt

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.44” L.E.

We picked up another 0.7” today during the morning blitz of big flakes.  True to form it started snowing when I was a few hundred feet from the house on my way back from town, so there’s been a bit of additional snow this evening.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.5

Snow Density: 5.7% H2O

Temperature: 17.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

That's hilarious if nobody was seriously hurt

Lucky they didn't go over the other side in an unprotected stretch. That road has some pretty decent drop-offs on the river side.  Also got completely washed out this past summer in a local thunderstorm- foot-diameter cobbles thrown against a cabin's frontside down by the river- pretty wild. Steep terrain around there. 

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.44” L.E.

Yesterday evening there was an additional tenth of an inch of snow after my 7:00 P.M. observations, and that should mark the end of this storm.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 5.2 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

I had snow on May 25th a few years ago...it was probably the perfect setup at the latest possible time of the year for me to get accumulating snow (0.4"). I'm sure a similar "perfect" system for your location would push you into June.

We were too far east for that one, nasty 46/42 with 1"+ RA.  I think early June snow would be very unlikely here at 385', but the nearby foothills above 1,000' might be a different story.  We had our lawn sort of whitened on June 10, 1980 in Ft. Kent @ 525', and an inch or more fell on higher ground west of Allagash (and probably there was measurable in the back settlement at 970', to where we moved a year later.)  My first supervisor up there said he was on the PQ border across from St-Pamphile and woke up to 3" snow on June 17, 1964.  30 miles to the SE, Clayton Lake recorded no snow, just rain and low-mid 30s.

Edit:  We saw snowflakes at our back settlement home on 8/29/1982, and if we'd been home that July 4, probably also would have seen flakes or IP, as where we were at 570' in Allagash had mid-30s showers.

that's one of the sled groomers up north.

That's where the snomo registration $$ goes; off-road gas tax money as well.  Those $200K machines don't get purchased without major grants from the ORV Division.

Comment on that NNH webcam image - nice and wintry, like a normal mid-Dec.  Early March pic should include 6-ft high banks along the road and the fence no longer showing above the snow.

Yes, the back roads in VT were slippery.  This wasn't that far from the pictures of the police.  I think its from the Hinesburg police.

http://www.wcax.com/story/31369910/slick-roads-send-vt-police-cruisers-sliding

P.S. I tried posting the video only about 8 times but finally just posted a link.  My technological abilities FTL  :cry:

Archived