Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.40” L.E.

The precipitation had changed over to light rain at observations time this morning, but as of ~8:00 A.M. it was already back to snow, and it was coming down quite vigorously.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.30 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.0

Snow Density: 25.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.5 F

Sky: Light Rain

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a fairly quick 4" of non-sticky snow before it went to IP about 6 AM, then to an IP/ZR mix by 7.  Only a slushy inch or so in Augusta.  Quite the patch of colorful echoes moving from NH into Maine, undoubtedly the wash-away part that has accompanied almost every storm this year.  Should still wind up with the same or a bit more snowpack than I had yesterday.  It's all going away next week, I think, giving this winter a chance to beat 99-00 and 11-12 for fewest days with 1"+ OG.  Those years each had 86 snow-cover days; today is day 68 for this season.

My cousin in England is reporting thunder snow lol.  Everywhere does better than NNE this winter  :cry:

Where in England?

.4 in the 05862.  Couple of flakes at the moment in St. J as we have switched back over.

What a modeling fail for that area......lol

It was a total fail within 24-36 hours as well. I went from an NWS forecast of up to 7 inches to actually seeing 0.3 inches of mainly sleet. Obviously the NWS had to walk back amounts as the models indicated disaster, and they did so appropriately. There is zero chance we see a warning level snow here before time is up this go around. I don't even think a solid advisory snow is in the cards either at this rate.

It was a total fail within 24-36 hours as well. I went from an NWS forecast of up to 7 inches to actually seeing 0.3 inches of mainly sleet. Obviously the NWS had to walk back amounts as the models indicated disaster, and they did so appropriately. There is zero chance we see a warning level snow here before time is up this go around. I don't even think a solid advisory snow is in the cards either at this rate.

I will have to say, I think the RGEM and the Euro is going to be close to reality up here, The GFS just puked all over itself

Storm preformed as expected here.  Net gain, ground white.    Sleet started in late evening with temp around 28F  Quickly transformed to heavy snow, the heaviest of the year.  Didn't last long but put down an inch or perhaps a bit more.  Turned to sleet and freezing rain.  I slept in but at 8am we had freezing rain/rain and 32.2F.  Rain ended and a brief clearing moved in boosting the temp briefly to 34F and melted some of the glaze.  Clouds moved back in and we had a period of light snow for about 20 minutes with temps back around 31.8F.  It was suspiciously calm so took the drone up to look around.  Winds were picking up fast and I didn't realize how windy it was above treeline.  Drone almost flipped and couldn't fight the wind and started drifting away at 250 feet.  Got it down quickly and landed it in my field.  Close disaster.

Here is quick video of area after the storm. Definately white with glazing above 1400 feet or so. 

https://youtu.be/9HlA9QN8NVE

Might have been the last snow of the year here today

Never know...   My latest in season for measurable (May 14) and 1"+ (April 29) came in 2002, after a pretty awful winter.  The earliest dates for last measurable (March 11) and 1"+ (March 6) came in 2009, after a winter that saw snowpack peak at 49".

Archived