• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

This afternoon's visible really shows the lack of snowcover in Maine and NH.  Nothing in NH till you get into the Whites.  Vermont down to the Berkshires look to have some snow,  I'm guessing from last night.  Pretty amazing for February.

Blasphemy. Look at all of this snowcover. ;)

post-3-0-03382400-1456582967_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you guys are saying about Eyewall is true.  Climate took a dramatic turn when he moved to Vermont.  We use to get noreaster after noreaster.  The SNE guys were always so jealous of us that I had to be careful and not glote too much.  Now the mid atlantic or SNE gets the storms.  I wonder how long the spell will last?

Just kidding.....

The end of a normal winters of yesteryears....March 15 2001 and a picture from the winter of 2008.  My kitchen glass sliders are behind that snow.  We could only get light from the tops of the windows in the living room.  Constant roof raking that year to help with snowload.  You can see the top of the ladder on the left.

post-268-0-77031800-1456602816_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-15950100-1456603217_thumb.jpg

What you guys are saying about Eyewall is true. Climate took a dramatic turn when he moved to Vermont. We use to get noreaster after noreaster. The SNE guys were always so jealous of us that I had to be careful and not glote too much. Now the mid atlantic or SNE gets the storms. I wonder how long the spell will last?

Just kidding.....

The end of a normal winters of yesteryears....March 15 2001

That dog looks like I did at that time. I remember that I had just been told that I needed a new boiler and it was going to be $3500. I remember it so clearly because there was so much snow in my driveway and yard that they couldn't get the old boiler out through the bulkhead so they had to wait until April.

Love those glowing Mansfield shots on the last page, eyewall.

Took a quick quad video of the Merrimack in Manchester while I was out today.. Pretty heavy flow.

Thank you and that is how the Winooski River looked here. Winooski is a no fly zone though.

Well I guess from what I read on the boards the Euro flattened out the trough so that the wave was further east.  Now the 18Z  shows a weaker system.  Wonder if the trend will continue to the point that really nothing much happens up here?  Do we go from cutter to just a frontal passage with minimal qpf??

Well I guess from what I read on the boards the Euro flattened out the trough so that the wave was further east.  Now the 18Z  shows a weaker system.  Wonder if the trend will continue to the point that really nothing much happens up here?  Do we go from cutter to just a frontal passage with minimal qpf??

Dunno, but I'll sign for anything that's not a cutter.

Yeah, I just looked out and we’ve got some snow falling.  It’s pretty light so far though down at this elevation.

Huge flakes falling but light, like you said.  A light dusting.

Dry air in the low elevations but sometimes these higher echos mean fluffy accumulations in the higher elevations while we wait for it to saturate below 1,500ft.  

Sneaky little mountain event possible tonight for Jay Peak.  I've seen the models ramping up QPF a bit there, but some of the latest HRRR hourly runs are pretty ridiculous.

This has like 0.6-0.8" QPF falling by noon tomorrow over Jay Peak.  That would get snowy quickly.

attachicon.gifhrrrx_tprecip_neng_25.png

Thanks for posting this. BTV WRF shows bullseye at Jay with .84" QPF.  That could be pretty good.  

Nothing in Burlington at the moment- to be expected in such a setup.

Canceled any potential plans and just sent out the APB to the few intrepid folks who'd be down. Gonna skin up Big Jay tomorrow AM as the beta shows the woods are skiable there. Pretty excited. Will report back.

Gonna skin up Big Jay tomorrow AM as the beta shows the woods are skiable there.

Nice, that’s not surprising since we found plenty of skiable terrain out on the Bolton Valley Backcountry Network, and Jay Peak had picked up some decent snow last week so I bet they’ve got a nice base.  At Bolton we found the best powder above ~2,400’, but up there the turns were sweet.  I’ve got a few pictures below from our tour today, and some additional shots in our full report.

27FEB16C.jpg

27FEB16D.jpg

27FEB16B.jpg

27FEB16F.jpg

Nice, that’s not surprising since we found plenty of skiable terrain out on the Bolton Valley Backcountry Network, and Jay Peak had picked up some decent snow last week so I bet they’ve got a nice base.  At Bolton we found the best powder above ~2,400’, but up there the turns were sweet.  I’ve got a few pictures below from our tour today, and some additional shots in our full report.

27FEB16C.jpg

27FEB16D.jpg

27FEB16B.jpg

27FEB16F.jpg

Is over toward the Rez side looking filled-in enough? 

Looking at the radar right now, appears a westerly strong flow of moisture just north of the 'dacks that seems to really be a VT/CAN border special tonight. Seems in-line with the HRRR/WRF models for a Jay special.  As much as I talk smack about Jay, they got something up there. Tomorrow will tell.

Just threw the skins on the boards and getting gear together. First real VT BC day of the year. First time in nearly a decade that the first real BC skin would be in March, if not for the leap year! Pretty psyched!

Jay Peak must've gotten slammed last night.  Edit: 6-8" reported overnight at Jay.

We got at least 1.5" of dense snow at 1,500ft and grooming saying at least 3-4" up high but I can't verify yet so went 1-3".  I think this is going to be better than 1-3" would lead you to believe.

There's some heft to this snow too...decent plow piles just from that. 

But we were on the extreme southern edge of it, and I had next to nothing in town.  A co-worker coming in from the north from Hyde Park (just north of Morrisville) said he had 3.5" on his truck this morning and it was enough to plow the driveway.

Archived