joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PF should be happy with the gfs run, not familiar with upslope stuff but gfs prints foot + up there over next 7 days.

Yeah that was the best run in a couple weeks for days 1-7.  Tracks a few of those weak lows and the inverted trough just about perfectly for prolonged light snows in the NNE mountains.

We'll see but I think we at least get nickle and dime snows this week.  Which would be more than welcomed after the last like 10-14 days have given like 4" to the 3,000ft elevation (15% of normal during that time).

The 18Z GFS seems pretty decent as well – the look of moisture streaming through the area almost continuously right into the weekend is certainly a change of pace from the past couple of weeks.  Then it looks like a bit of a break on Sunday before another system is in the area at the start of next week.  Perhaps we’ll have a chance to get back to reality and out of the twilight zone where snowfall is somehow an oddity in the snowiest place in the Eastern U.S.

The 18Z GFS seems pretty decent as well – the look of moisture streaming through the area almost continuously right into the weekend is certainly a change of pace from the past couple of weeks.  Then it looks like a bit of a break on Sunday before another system is in the area at the start of next week.  Perhaps we’ll have a chance to get back to reality and out of the twilight zone where snowfall is somehow an oddity in the snowiest place in the Eastern U.S.

Good 24 hour period on the GFS there from 18z Wed through 18z Thur:

This would be nice to add at least a little QPF to the meager snow in the mountains this week.  5-day totals:

:

This would be nice to add at least a little QPF to the meager snow in the mountains this week.  5-day totals:

For the five day I'm under .3   It's comical how I miss synoptic's that go south and upslope and terrain enhancement to the north.  Mother nature always even things out.  This is payback from my Memorial Day 3" thundersnow from a few years back!

Ironically the "heaviest" of the light snow was when the radar echos have lightened up.  But you can tell there's some real dry air in the mountain valleys up here.  

Its coming down steadily but the flakes are so small.  And not small in a needle flake-type, but small in what was a high ratio snow above but has evaporated to the smallest dendrite known to man. 

I agree with the BTV discussion that with such a light wind flow there may not be much terrain enhancement of QPF (or shadowing).  I think there will be an elevational dependence to the snow amounts though because of the dry air in the low levels.  A bigger flake at 4,000ft will accumulate much better than its smaller size at 500ft.  Snow/water ratios will increase with height, but not because of temperatures but because of saturation.

Its also interesting to note how long it can take for good flakes to reach the lowest levels.  The mountains are a good barometer for that.  When chilling at the top of the chairlifts in these situations you can just watch the neighboring Worecester Range (3,000-3,600ft ridgeline that is the border of the town of Stowe) disappear behind the veil of light snow (that is virga for the valleys).  It can take a long time to reach the RT 100 corridor with such dry cold air locked in there.

My boss and I ventured 0.30" to 0.55" overnight for the Burlington area. I ventured the low amount while he went high. What a complete fool! 

But seriously the way this winter has been going we may as well reduce forecasting to tenths (ok, I give in, not hundredths) instead of whole inches. Can you imagine local meteorologists/forecasters putting out a range of say, 0.5"-1.3" instead of to 1-3" or the such? Just feels like they should at this rate.

Parodying a H. Clinton commercial- "Spring. Can't wait. Warm weather. Can't wait. Green grass, leaves and flowers. Can't wait. End of this God awful winter. Can't wait."

Was going to report the .25"-.33" that I've had so far in storm obs thread but didn't want those from snowier climes mocking me. :(

My boss and I ventured 0.30" to 0.55" overnight for the Burlington area. I ventured the low amount while he went high. What a complete fool! 

But seriously the way this winter has been going we may as well reduce forecasting to tenths (ok, I give in, not hundredths) instead of whole inches. Can you imagine local meteorologists/forecasters putting out a range of say, 0.5"-1.3" instead of to 1-3" or the such? Just feels like they should at this rate.

Parodying a H. Clinton commercial- "Spring. Can't wait. Warm weather. Can't wait. Green grass, leaves and flowers. Can't wait. End of this God awful winter. Can't wait."

Now that is a coincidence.

Good 24 hour period on the GFS there from 18z Wed through 18z Thur:

gfs_precip_24hr_neng_13.png

This would be nice to add at least a little QPF to the meager snow in the mountains this week. 5-day totals:

120hrQPF.png

Verbatim that looks pretty good even down here. I would take .7 to .8 all day. Just want somewhat of snowpack for the cold blast coming next weekend.

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Total snow back in the center of Waterbury seemed pretty similar to what we picked up at the house, but westward toward Jonesville and Richmond in the low elevations the new snow accumulations were surprisingly minimal; it looked like just a dusting to a couple of tenths of an inch.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.9

Snow Density: 7.8% H2O

Temperature: 19.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

About an inch or slightly under here in Winooski overnight.

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Total snow back in the center of Waterbury seemed pretty similar to what we picked up at the house, but westward toward Jonesville and Richmond in the low elevations the new snow accumulations were surprisingly minimal; it looked like just a dusting to a couple of tenths of an inch.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.9

Snow Density: 7.8% H2O

Temperature: 19.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

1.2 inches but it looked like more.  

1.4" on .11" LE.

Ground is white, which is a win I guess.

Exactly 1.0" this morning for my late report.

1.75" on the official snowboard.  Felt wintry, for a change.  :snowman:

Jackpot!

Archived