joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take these setups any day of the week...

GEPS

EPS

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_10.pngLooks like strong PNA/EPO rigding and even some Greenland blocking. Better yet, lower heights seem to be forming over Nova Scotia. I don't think we're done yet at all. 

there is only going to be a limited window of opportunity in that setup -  march does not favor any prolonged setups for snow in this area according to climatology

You said offshore I said follow the trend and watch the WAR flex its muscles and guess what it flexing hard. This is why I go be meteorology not modelogy especially beyond 48 hours

Which thread did I say offshore ? I reported in the vendor thread that LC was predicting just last night an offshore track - I didn't say I agreed with him - I am still waiting for his newsletter tonight to see what he is predicting now

Which thread did I say offshore ? I reported in the vendor thread that LC was predicting just last night an offshore track - I didn't say I agreed with him - I am still waiting for his newsletter tonight to see what he is predicting now

I'm not one for drama at all. But you were harping on an offshore track. I don't feel like going through the whole thread. It was a few days ago when the models showed that and you made fun of my "hunch" post that's all. Regardless this is going to suck

Next 8 days including today figure to be about +4 to +5 but the last day of the month looks pretty cold, so I think we end month with a surplus of about 30 to 40 degrees, including the +4 we have as of today  (0.20*20).  Final idea for the month: say +1.0 to +1.3.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

In addition, the period from 2/27---3/07 looks below normal, and offers a short window to get some white stuff near Mar. 2-3, before it starts looking and feeling like Dec. as most of Canada goes 3-4 SD units above normal.

Next 8 days including today figure to be about +4 to +5 but the last day of the month looks pretty cold, so I think we end month with a surplus of about 30 to 40 degrees, including the +4 we have as of today  (0.20*20).  Final idea for the month: say +1.0 to +1.3.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

In addition, the period from 2/27---3/07 looks below normal, and offers a short window to get some white stuff near Mar. 2-3, before it starts looking and feeling like Dec. as most of Canada goes 3-4 SD units above normal.

So you were plus 6 in Jan and we ended up plus 1.9.

You were plus 4 in Feb and we will end up close to plus 1.

So when you say Dec like are you calling for March to finish plus 10 ?

With today's 50° high temperature through 1 pm, February is averaging 1.1° above normal. Today is the 8th day on which the temperature has reached 50° or above in February. By month's end, there should be 9-11 such days. That is an impressive figure, even as it would fall short of the record of 15 such days in 1990.

The month is now very likely to finish with a warm anomaly. Assuming the MOS is reasonably accurate, the month would finish with an anomaly near +1.5°.

Under a cold scenario (MOS - 3°), February would still finish with an anomaly of +0.7°. Under a warm scenario (MOS + 3°), February would finish with an anomaly of +2.2°. As a result, the December-February period will likely finish with a seasonal mean temperature ranging from 40.4° to 41.1° (near 40.8° if the MOS is reasonably accurate).

Those numbers mean that NYC will very likely finish with either the 3rd or 2nd warmest winter on record. The three warmest winters on record are as follows:

1. 2001-02: Mean temperature: 41.5°; Seasonal snowfall: 3.5"

2. 2011-12: Mean temperature: 40.5°; Seasonal snowfall: 7.4"

3. 1931-32: Mean temperature: 40.1°; Seasonal snowfall: 5.3"

So far, Winter 2015-16 has seen 31.2" snow at Central Park. That figure could increase especially during the first 10 days of March given the forecast pattern. There is a small chance that NYC could approach or reach 40" if a big storm occurs during that timeframe.

Finally, in terms of monthly forecasts, the CFSv2 with its warmer than normal idea (about 1.4° above normal for NYC) will likely fare better than the other guidance, which was too cold, should the MOS ideas come reasonably close to verifying. The CFSv2 would have been too cool nationwide, as it showed a large area of cool anomalies across the CONUS.

It's an emerging theme, but it appears that the CFSv2 may wind up having performed better than the other guidance for the last 3 months when its day-before-month guidance was considered. At the longer-range, it remains much weaker.

Why would you say that. Meteorological winter ends in just a week. Time to pack the snowboots away and bring out the tshirts and bats

Pollen? Actually it was meant more tongue-in-cheek.

I'll enjoy the weather whatever it brings. I think we'll get at least some winter opportunities during the first 10 days of March but the month might well end up warmer than normal.

With today's 50° high temperature through 1 pm, February is averaging 1.1° above normal. Today is the 8th day on which the temperature has reached 50° or above in February. By month's end, there should be 9-11 such days. That is an impressive figure, even as it would fall short of the record of 15 such days in 1990.

The month is now very likely to finish with a warm anomaly. Assuming the MOS is reasonably accurate, the month would finish with an anomaly near +1.5°.

Under a cold scenario (MOS - 3°), February would still finish with an anomaly of +0.7°. Under a warm scenario (MOS + 3°), February would finish with an anomaly of +2.2°. As a result, the December-February period will likely finish with a seasonal mean temperature ranging from 40.4° to 41.1° (near 40.8° if the MOS is reasonably accurate).

Those numbers mean that NYC will very likely finish with either the 3rd or 2nd warmest winter on record. The three warmest winters on record are as follows:

1. 2001-02: Mean temperature: 41.5°; Seasonal snowfall: 3.5"

2. 2011-12: Mean temperature: 40.5°; Seasonal snowfall: 7.4"

3. 1931-32: Mean temperature: 40.1°; Seasonal snowfall: 5.3"

So far, Winter 2015-16 has seen 31.2" snow at Central Park. That figure could increase especially during the first 10 days of March given the forecast pattern. There is a small chance that NYC could approach or reach 40" if a big storm occurs during that timeframe.

Finally, in terms of monthly forecasts, the CFSv2 with its warmer than normal idea (about 1.4° above normal for NYC) will likely fare better than the other guidance, which was too cold, should the MOS ideas come reasonably close to verifying. The CFSv2 would have been too cool nationwide, as it showed a large area of cool anomalies across the CONUS.

It's an emerging theme, but it appears that the CFSv2 may wind up having performed better than the other guidance for the last 3 months when its day-before-month guidance was considered. At the longer-range, it remains much weaker.

Don here is it`s FEB monthly forecast the week before the start of the month . I usually agree with you but look at where it was week 4 in Jan for Feb , it had to get its nose up against the month to see plus 1.5 

A week out it was + 4c 

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201602.gif

The Euro  SEASONAL forecast was N  to + 1C for  Jan - March from late Dec .

So far Jan 1 - thru today  KNYC is  around + 1.5 F 

I think that will verify closer than what the CFS had from 2 and 3 months away .

Considering these are climate models they should not have to be at the doorstep to correct like that  , the CFS was awful from a distance compared to the EURO 

Again the CFS in DEC for JAN

A week out it had + 3 C 

We finished + 1.9 F  A little better than the next month , but the Euro was better  IMO 

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201601.gif

Don here is it`s FEB monthly forecast the week before the start of the month . I usually agree with you but look at where it was week 4 in Jan for Feb , it had to get its nose up against the month to see plus 1.5 

A week out it was + 4c 

We actually agree. I wrote, "...the CFSv2 may wind up having performed better than the other guidance for the last 3 months when its day-before-month guidance was considered. At the longer-range, it remains much weaker."

We actually agree. I wrote, "...the CFSv2 may wind up having performed better than the other guidance for the last 3 months when its day-before-month guidance was considered. At the longer-range, it remains much weaker."[/size]

Thanks Don .

It's seasonal 2M did well. The Euro beat it at 500 for Jan and Feb

An historic NYC winter for extreme contrasts.

NYC is currently at 40.4 for DJF through February 22nd. This sets up a contrast that has never

been seen before in NYC. No other 40 degree winter can approach the snowfall this winter

or the below zero low temperature. 

Every season in the 2000's is an adventure as to which new extremes will occur.

DJF temp....year....snowfall....winter minimum temperature

41.5..........01-02.......3.5"..............19

40.5..........11-12.......7.4"..............13

40.4..........15-16......31.2".............-1....through February 22nd

40.1..........31-32.......5.3".............18

Archived