SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are model divergence and disagreement becoming more in degree today than used to be? It may be just my perception, but it sure seems so. Any research on this?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It's likely a perception thing because we look at models more now beyond day 4-5 because more models go out that far. Also, models are better so they see those treats a week or more out and struggle with them, used to be they didn't pick them up as much so we didn't see the evolution to the eventual solution

It's likely a perception thing because we look at models more now beyond day 4-5 because more models go out that far. Also, models are better so they see those treats a week or more out and struggle with them, used to be they didn't pick them up as much so we didn't see the evolution to the eventual solution

Makes sense, yes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

12z

00z

Barely 12 hrs and such a drastic swing.... So because the ukie suggests this also, it's a lock with "other guidance" lol...

I can't believe we're even entertaining the thought of knowing a solution at this point, this could very well be in inland runner rain event.. But I certainly don't pretend to think ALL signs point toward that solution.. Sorry

IMO, the blocking is forecast to develop a little too late for the midweek storm to pose a big snowfall threat to the coastal plain. Interior sections have a much better chance to pick up an appreciable or perhaps significant snowfall (4" or more). However, I suspect the area of heaviest snows may fall somewhat to the south and east of the heaviest snows from the February 15-16 storm (central PA, central New York State rather than western PA and Western NY) given where things currently stand.

At present the AO will likely be shifting negative around the 2/24-25 timeframe. About half of ensemble members are negative at that time and around half are positive. For the snowier outcome to translate farther east, one would need the most negative ensemble members to verify with the AO perhaps down between -2 and -1.

AO02192016.jpg

For example?

The D-5 ukie?

No guidance has inland runner at the moment like the Gfs ens, and ukie

The primary holds on way too long here for the 1st wave on the EURO 

The UKIE and GEFS drive these West 

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

gfs-ens_mslpa_us_23.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_us_7.png

3 issues here to overcome 

Western ridge is too far west , so you are able to amplify early 

WAR . Under modeled in the L/R pokes W as we get closer 

LP in the lakes . Not what you want to see .

gfs_mslpa_us_19.png

ecmwf_mslpa_us_6.png

ecmwf_z500a_sd_us_7.png

Archived