Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ECM Ens are just crazy during days 10-15 

After this, ridge hooks over the top and the hammer really drops on the mean. Some of the individual members are really impressive. I'm really starting to like the mid to late Feb period for a snap back into a very volatile pattern.  

aea06dc993475b5e05747d6449f75589.png

The 5 day EPS 850 anomalies are very cold .The low resolution control run between day 10 -15 is just insane.

I expect the EPS to look colder as we get closer.

The 5 day EPS 850 anomalies are very cold .The low resolution control run between day 10 -15 is just insane.

I expect the EPS to look colder as we get closer.

I've been talking to Cohen, and the SSWE is now in the medium range. This isn't your typical warming event...this has potential to translate blocking that could rival some of the most prolific episodes.

If you hook that PNA ridge with a Davis straights block...I'm all in for February. 

(Which is exactly what the MEAN shows, never mind the EPS control) 

GFS 06z shows a nice phasing Miller A with an Alberta clipper for beginning of next week. Not as cold as we want it but that's too far to be concerned about that. It really develops a very strong low and this would at least give some heavy snows to the interior...0e696aba529a0aed4310c8c7e9f8af38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question is - will it be there on the 12Z run ?

GFS 06z shows a nice phasing Miller A with an Alberta clipper for beginning of next week. Not as cold as we want it but that's too far to be concerned about that. It really develops a very strong low and this would at least give some heavy snows to the interior...0e696aba529a0aed4310c8c7e9f8af38.jpg

+11 for the first 8 days of Feb.   Rest of month, 2/9---2/29 will need to be -4.2, just to get us back to normal.  If we finish at +5.8 for Feb. this will be the warmest winter ever.    2/9---2/29 period will need to be just  +3.8 with this kind of head start to get to that +5.8.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

+11 for the first 8 days of Feb. Rest of month, 2/9---2/29 will need to be -4.2, just to get us back to normal. If we finish at +5.8 for Feb. this will be the warmest winter ever. 2/9---2/29 period will need to be just +3.8 with this kind of head start to get to that +5.8.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

Very achievable! I think we'll be close but will prob finish +3 for feb

The Euro is between 0.75" and 1.50" of rain through Wednesday night. Between the moderate to heavy rainfall as well as the unseasonably warm temps this week, that should eliminate what's left of the snowpack in most places. River flooding is certainly a possibility, especially along the Raritan River which is already forecasted to reach flood stage in spots by Thursday.

we're lucky the blizzard came north because this month is looking boring

But we did get the blizzard, and that's enough to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about this winter no matter what else happens the rest of the way. And if "boring" means 50s and 60s in the dead middle of winter, then I'm fine with it.

But we did get the blizzard, and that's enough to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about this winter no matter what else happens the rest of the way. And if "boring" means 50s and 60s in the dead middle of winter, then I'm fine with it.

Yeah that storm sure saved the day. Pack is literally crying a slow death right now.

After this cutter it's all gone except the biggest piles.

I still think we have one more shot at least of a good storm. Then on to spring

Archived