Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
GHD III possible Winter Storm February 1st-3rd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what happens, it sure is nice to see a relatively wide swath of sig snow.  Of course not everyone in the sub will get in on wherever this thing lines up, but it's nice to see something other than a 100-200 mile wide swath of significant snows showing up.  Thread the needle events are sort of depressing to track lol.

No matter what happens, it sure is nice to see a relatively wide swath of sig snow.  Of course not everyone in the sub will get in on wherever this thing lines up, but it's nice to see something other than a 100-200 mile wide swath of significant snows showing up.  Thread the needle events are sort of depressing to track lol.

Too much drama.  :lol:

Can we order up a GFS/GGEM blend and knock it south 50 miles.

Too much drama.  :lol:

Can we order up a GFS/GGEM blend and knock it south 50 miles.

Ha, yeah works for me.  Not be negative, but the GEM has buried us many times this season.  The overall trend however is definitely looking pretty uplifting for those of us who wanted a southeast shift compared to the past few days.  Still a long ways to go, but it's nice to see.  Glad I never officially threw in the towel.   :beer:

One of our local TV mets went on a bit of a rant tonight on facebook.  Basically tired of certain peeps on social media posting map images of models well in advance of an upcoming storm.  Can't blame him.  As a TV met (or any op met for that matter) it's gotta be a bit tiresome fielding questions about hype generated from this type of stuff on social media..

https://www.facebook.com/108744455887159/videos/984017528359843/

I think another 24-36 hours will tell the tale in general where the track will likely end up. Probably until Sunday night will be able to pin point a rain snow line within a narrow corridor. 

Yeah that was some rant by Erik. Don't blame him though.

This was the Kuchera ratio map.

acckucherasnowmw.png

That run verbatim is one of the better snow to rain scenarios that I can recall for the LOT area. Take Geos land for example...heavy snow with big amounts and then driving rain by 120 hours. Would be interesting and you'd have to wonder if sfc temps would be slower to respond if a lot of slow gets laid down.

I don't think I can recall any similar example since I've been here. Anyone have any example Idea of a significant front end thump is a reasonable scenario given recent trends. Could see a snowpack slowing warming a bit. Also wonder how much sleet there will be with 925 mb level staying colder longer. To get sleet like 12/28 is a pretty unique setup though, need to have the refreeze energy down low outweigh the warming aloft. If surface warming is slowed by snowpack, could be that most places do go over to rain but freezing rain a lingering issue over north central IL.

Snow to rain events are rare around here. I have to say, I can't remember any off the top of my head. It seems that if it does warm up during the storm, it just dry slots here and really doesn't rain appreciably. 

I vaguely remember a few in the 90s, but I can't tell you when they were. Almost want to say one happened during the super el Niño, but I could be wrong.

I don't think I can recall any similar example since I've been here. Anyone have any example Idea of a significant front end thump is a reasonable scenario given recent trends. Could see a snowpack slowing warming a bit. Also wonder how much sleet there will be with 925 mb level staying colder longer. To get sleet like 12/28 is a pretty unique setup though, need to have the refreeze energy down low outweigh the warming aloft. If surface warming is slowed by snowpack, could be that most places do go over to rain but freezing rain a lingering issue over north central IL.

I racked my brain trying to come up with something and I sorta did, but it was more of a central IL event I think. April 10-11, 1997. A band of snow developed down south and hit places like PIA hard before changing to rain.

I almost expect something to happen (a rainier scenario or a snowier scenario) because of the rarity, but as of now there's pretty decent agreement on the thump idea for northern IL.

Archived