Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

You ever been to a loud funeral?

lol....you nailed it...

coffin style....

I"m luking much less...cant take the pain of this dreadful winter (yeah one big storm....blah blah blah).  

I like trackin...but not warmth and rain.  

And to think that those of us that enjoy snow/cold wont be talkin much about it for 9 months almost makes me wanna hurl...

Nut

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol....you nailed it...

coffin style....

I"m luking much less...cant take the pain of this dreadful winter (yeah one big storm....blah blah blah).

And to think that those of us that enjoy snow/cold wont be talkin much about it for 9 months almost makes me wanna hurl...

Nut

I need to get you into severe stuff, you'd probably be interested. As for warmth and garden discussion, lol no interest at all from me.

lol....you nailed it...

coffin style....

Nut

Wow...that's some serious ****!!! :yikes:

So...are we completely writing off this Friday? 

That's the one I had been eyeing up as a potential snow event although models have been keeping this thing mainly south the last few days... which of course is the only appropriate response this winter would have after delivering 3-4 straight cutters. GFS looked a bit better today, but would imply a lighter event. I could definitely see this ending up back further north as it appears to be a system diving down on the northern branch and cold air has consistently lacked modeled staying power and strength this year. Pretty much what I'm saying is we could end up closer to the boundary this low runs on....maybe. The mid-week cutter looks to dig a pretty good trough and this system is coming pretty close on the heels of it.

Either way if it does creep back north it looks to be an event of the few inch variety, dependent on the time of day it hits given that it doesn't look particularly heavy on the QPF attm. GFS and Euro prog this as an overnight/early morning thing right now, so it would increase accum potentials. There has also been a clipper progged on the heels of the Friday storm to keep an eye on Sat night/Sun before it appears we warm up pretty significantly next week. 

I need to get you into severe stuff, you'd probably be interested. As for warmth and garden discussion, lol no interest at all from me.

Severe stuff is interesting from a meteo perspective, and a little intriguing to me, but I'm not a fan of tornadoes/tropical stuff, as truth be told....they often destroy lives and that takes the "fun" out of it.  Its alot easier to cook up some convection for a Tstorm, and I guess that to me makes it less of a chase.  

On the cold side..sooo much has to go right for a good ol fashioned Miller A...and especially a Miller B for us in this area, that to me makes the quest for a good one so much more special.....

I dont even need em IMBY everytime to be happy, just to see it come together in our region is ok by me...

Pluse I can do a LOT more in the snow....than in the rain.

Nut

Thanks for the insight Mag.  Yeah as I've sorta been looking w/ one eye open from behind the shades at this period (as many have touted as our last gasp for winter from a few days back, it would be a royal kick in the kahunas to see this one slip by to the south as the "year of the cutters" is wrapping up.  While the cutter will dig the trough...i guess it could happen, but w/ the AO/NAO not in our favor...you'd think this one might want to gain latitude more than currently modeled.

It would be nice to see one more.  

I guess in hindsight...Eskimo was more right in his winter cancel back in Oct....even if for the wrong reasons.  Things were close a few times.  Oh well....

I guess being a forecaster is sorta like golfing...they don't ask how you scored....they as what you scored.  :)

Nut

Bottom line on this winter: one storm makes the whole winter. We had almost 5 inches on that storm, but  most places north had less than 5 total for the winter.

IT was a poor winter for one that was supposed to be snowy.

I was one that took the position that this winter could either be really snowy or really bad.. as there were ample reasonings to argue both points. Aside from that, this was not really how I saw this winter evolving. I figured if it was going to go the really snowy route that it would be the interior northeast and Mid-Atlantic that was going to see a lot of it.. with the Mid-Atlantic, Sus Valley, 95 corridor, etc being too warm and struggling with snowfall initially. And I thought if it was going to be crappy, that interior locations could still salvage a near average season. Did not anticipate such dire snowfall shortages in northern Penn and upstate NY on up into mountains of VT and NH in either scenario.

What we got generally was ( or well.. just IS for interior folks above the I-80 corridor) a historically bad and warm Northeast winter with the one-hit wonder of the century smack in the middle of the winter that targeted the Mid-Atlantic and I-95 NYC south of all places. It was one of the only true southern stream storms we saw in a winter I expected to see opportunities from several. 

With all that said, we could certainly still get wacked by one more big storm in March that could either help totals up north and/or turn the south into a sizably above average snowfall winter. But I'm with Nut in liking to do things in the snow..mainly snowboard. Only have gotten to go once this year. I would always love to see the big snowstorm but I favor winters that build and maintain snow, and this one has been the opposite of a glacier builder. 

any way the wind blows... We are streaming a lacrosse match later today, My camera people are outside in the wind. Hope they dress warm. I get the seat of honor in the press box. I will say Saturday was one of the worse wind days we had for sports. We had gusts over 30 mph.

Our fields are  off i-81 in Wilkes-Barre, wide open and always breezy.

Just looking at the models and I can see why it's so dead in here. Everyone north and west of I-81 has jumped off a bridge somewhere and drowned. :P

Seriously though, the models really are honing in on YET ANOTHER mid Atlantic snow event. Incredible...

Archived