• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Lessons Learned - what we can learn from the Jan 22/23 snowstorm/blizzard

tarheelwx

Could somebody post a map with the true track of the ULL as well as the SLP from this storm?  Would like to get an idea of how that really finalized.

Basically this, but anyone can please correct or add as needed.

We got a coastal low around Savannah, but it was weak and not phased. It raced north (compared to the slow moving primary as it crawled through MS, AL,and GA earlier in the day) to about Cape Fear and then indeed came inland through the sounds of NC to a position off shore of Norfolk. The weak  and diffuse ULL (it never closed off) then joined it and it phased there and pulled away.

We need the phase to occur sooner (or at least the Coastal take over and the ull close) and stay off shore slightly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

I started this thread last year when GSO ended up with 3-4" of sleet and snow when many of the models were well into the double digits and all snow.  I guess I should have posted this 3 or 4 days ago since most of the lessons applied to the current storm as well.  How soon we forget. 

TW

On 1/23/2016 at 3:50 PM, superjames1992 said:

CAD is usually underdone and doesn't get eroded as fast as expected.

The NAM picks up on warm noses well in the mid-levels.

Don't trust the QPF, at least for Miller Bs.

Always pay attention to warm noses above 850 mb (in our case, we had a bad one from 750-850 mb, which the NAM nailed).

All of these were basically applicable to this storm as well (except for the CAD).

Archived