• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Steady snow and big gusts in Middle River, MD. No idea how much has fallen, but my stick in the backyard behind my house shows total 10" accumulation. That's a damn lie though, as the house is east of the stick, and it was blowing from the east all night long.

Still full of awesomeness out there. Heading for 30+?

12:45pm First Flakes

4:30pm 2"

7:00pm 3.5"

8:00pm 3.8"

9:30pm 5"

10:30pm 6"

12:00pm 7.75"

2:00am 9"

7:30am 17"

8:30am 20"

9:30am 22"

Looks like Gaithersburg area is gonna jackpot

Will Fredericksburg get in on any of these epic whiteout-inducing bands with the huge gusts? It's just been a (albeit very impressive) snowstorm here so far.

Anyone here over 20" yet? Fox5 just reported 26" in Leesburg. Wondering if it's a measurement error.

They reported Fairfax at 24" which I also have a hard time believing.

I'm getting antsy to get banded again here in Springfield. Seeing the bands set up in Loudoun and Moco is making me jealous.

They reported Fairfax at 24" which I also have a hard time believing.

I'm getting antsy to get banded again here in Springfield. Seeing the bands set up in Loudoun and Moco is making me jealous.

Same here... I have 17 to 18 inches

No idea how much I have.  16" maybe?  Went through a drift while I was snowblowing that was probably ~30" deep. 

At 10 am, another three inches since 5 am on the south side of the Hill. That's probably between 15-16" total (I didn't clear the trash can lid until after the 5 am measurement, so I'm sure there was a little compaction). Coming down nicely right now.

Once again very light snow. I have not seen any heavy snow since early this morning. Winds have definitely picked up though. It's blowing everywhere. One side of my yard has 20" the other 15".

There's probably another chance at tssn when the bands to the SE start blossoming and rotating through. Given the proximity to the ull and strengthening slp off of tidewater should produce some instability.

Any thoughts on when that  might happen? The hrrrx to me looks like it's missing the current dryness and doesn't pick up all that much later compared to what is modeled for current conditions. I don't think we're done yet, but short-range guidance has been missing quite a bit of precip to me.

It should for those directly north and west of the city. OP GFS is also forecasting another 1'' QP (including DC it looks like). We'll see about DC.

Dry air getting really close to DC. No way the para verifies with that much more qpf