Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An amazing storm and congrats to everyone. Glad the bands finally filled in and many saw whiteout condition late this afternoon. I am calling it 28" here at the house. Will do final snow clearing tomorrow before the games and sounds like it will Monday before plows will be in the neighborhoods. Our road is totally drifted over.

I see 17-27 across moco.

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

2 NNW NORTH POTOMAC 36.5 600 PM 1/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

1 NW NORTH POTOMAC 36.5 623 PM 1/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

2 SE CLARKSBURG 34.3 626 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

3 SSW DAMASCUS 29.0 752 PM 1/23 CO-OP OBSERVER

1 ESE NORBECK 28.6 717 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 ESE NORBECK 28.6 700 PM 1/23 COCORAHS

1 NNE GLENMONT 26.0 600 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 NNW BETHESDA 26.0 617 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

GAITHERSBURG 25.0 646 PM 1/23 COUNTY EMRG MGMT

1 ENE CONGRESSIONAL 24.6 604 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

SPENCERVILLE 22.0 626 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 N FOUR CORNERS 22.0 821 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

GLEN ECHO 21.7 559 PM 1/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

1 ESE WHEATON 21.5 554 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 NE FOUR CORNERS 20.0 600 PM 1/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

1 ESE TAKOMA PARK 17.5 636 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER 

I disagree. I think 2/5-6/10 pretty clearly beat this storm in most of the city proper. 2/5-6/10 had a lot of 24"+ reports from inside the city with the Tenleytown area reporting 27"+. 

Sure, but I didn't say, or mean to suggest this storm beat 2010.  I said DC has beaten 1899 but probably not Knickerbocker.  In an earlier post, I mentioned that the 24th and M location, e.g., would like have had several storms surpassing the 1899 "official" #2 since the transfer to DCA in 1950, including 2010, 2003, 96, 83, and 79.  All moot anyway, and in good fun.  

Kudos to CWG and others who care enough about science and history and have been trying for awhile to intelligently challenge the temperature and snowfall record keeping practices at DCA.  

My yardstick is registering +/- 30" here in Wesley Hts. 

Factoring a combination of my poor measuring skills, a few miles, and a few hundred feet of elevation, I would bet down on 24th and M they've got ~2 feet.  So, I think it is fair to say DC has topped #2 1899 and rivaled, but not surpassed, Knickerbocker with this one.

And in all likelihood, DCA has/or should have recorded it's highest single storm total since the transfer in 1950.

I'd be surprised.  That's what Vienna is reporting and they were in a better spot most of the day.

Just came in. Since then .4 fell that I could justify (it snowed a lot harder for just .04, but Im tired) so, yes 27. that seems to be a good number. A spotter in Dale City had 25.3 at 6:30. Leesburg in Nokesville has about 30. So it's right there in the ballpark.

27 it is. 

This is the most snow that has ever fallen in a single storm in Dale City that I know of.

I am gonna dig TONS of snow!!

There are multiple measurement in northern MoCo over 30". I was at 30.5" at 5pm. I'll measure after this next band finishes. Trained spotter here in Clarksburg submitted 34.5" at 8:45pm too.

NE Rockville got really lucky riding the edge of the band during the lull to the east. It made the difference. Gberg/Gtown/Cberg rocked it during that time. I was nervous.

NE Rockville got really lucky riding the edge of the band during the lull to the east. It made the difference. Gberg/Gtown/Cberg rocked it during that time. I was nervous.

I never dropped to just plain SN until after 5pm.  It was hours of alternating between moderately heavy and just pouring snow.  What is your total so far?

From what I had watched earlier through today, BWI itself was routinely under much heavier returns and never truly stopped snowing, compared to areas especially to the southeast of the airport where dryslotting was much more prevalent. I wouldn't doubt the totals BWI saw, especially when they had 2"/hr rates and literally 0 visibility at times today

I'd be surprised.  That's what Vienna is reporting and they were in a better spot most of the day.

I thought I saw a 23 from Ian in 20008 awhile ago, 24 in Chevy Chase  21 on the east side by Catholic.  DuPont had 19 at 2pm this afternoon according to Channel 4, so I think 2 feet a quite plausible estimate for the former West End/Georgetown location.

I never dropped to just plain SN until after 5pm. It was hours of alternating between moderately heavy and just pouring snow. What is your total so far?

Going with 30 on the nose. I did a crappy job. I openly admit it. Tough storm to measure because of duration and wind. However, coops and board member WeatherCCB definitely support that #. The non-technical measurement would be sh*tpile either way. Lol

Anyone else around Fairfax/Burke/Springfield get 26"/27"?  I am going with that as my total and want to be sure its somewhat accurate

My mom lives in Vienna and she said 25"... and the way she measured it was just sticking a yardstick into the sidewalk. Could be slightly higher... maybe by an inch or so. 

Going with 30 on the nose. I did a crappy job. I openly admit it. Tough storm to measure because of duration and wind. However, coops and board member WeatherCCB definitely support that #. The non-technical measurement would be sh*tpile either way. Lol

I'll admit I only cleared twice. Numbers will be low because of that. I was too busy enjoying the storm. I'll take my final after that last band that's moving thru Hagerstown comes thru. Current band is legit:

post-109-0-07807800-1453602109_thumb.jpe

Archived