Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since 7 pm really flurries or only light snow - I don't anticipate further accumulation- calling it at 27 inches - Roland park area balt city

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26" here.... magnificent storm. It was literally a repeat of the Blizzard of 96, 20 years later.

Seems to say, if I'm reading it right, that they had basically the same QPF for the six hours after 1PM as the six hours before 1PM.

Make of it what you will.

They reported heavy snow and didn't accumulate. lmao!

23 15:52 N 28 G 39 0.25 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow Fog and Windy VV007 26 23     88% 10 NA 29.62 1002.9 0.02 0.05   23 14:52 N 29 G 36 0.13 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow and Windy VV006 26 24     92% 10 NA 29.57 1001.2 0.03  

I'm not bashing, and I haven't lived here long enough to know much of anything about how DCA does what it does, but I counted 4 heavy snow hourly obs and two mod snow obs between 1pm and 7pm, and 2.9 is what they get? Just sounds strange on its face. 

Not only that.  They're reporting 3.8 inches since 7 AM.  Sure we got semi-dry-slotted for a few hours in there, but it never stopped snowing.  Not for a second.  And yet, through 13 hours of snow, including multiple heavy bands that lasted for hours, they picked up under 4 inches.  The DCA defenders in this thread who have buddies who work there or whatever can say what they like, but that's a bogus measurement that is not supported by a single observation point anywhere in the region.  And this same thing happened the last major storm, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that.

Maybe there was an error, and maybe they'll correct it.  I hope they do.  But if they stick with this current number, that's a disservice to our region.

Archived