SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually go conservative and probably under report many things but one thing I hate is stat padding.  If others beat me and i'm lagging then so be it.

Depending on where exactly you are BTR it could have been that the two of us got into the sweet stuff sooner?  IDK.  This stuff is so tricky at times

I'm just off the Edsall road exit off I-395

HRRR gives me, the I-95 corridor between Harford County and DC, all of AA and Charles Co. MD and most of Fairfax and Prince William Co. VA an ADDITIONAL 3+" from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m., with a smidgen more after that and with a few locations getting 4+". Ridiculous.

So another 1/2 inch at DCA.

Nobody will ever convince me that the euro was better than the gfs this time. The NAM scored it's once every couple of years big victory. It will cause problems soon when we start thinking "remember what the Nam did with Jan 2016??"

That euro run from , what, Wednesday? The one that went so far south?

Yeah, euro had all sorts of consistency issues - gfs was pretty much a rock all week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HRRR gives me, the I-95 corridor between Harford County and DC, all of AA and Charles Co. MD and most of Fairfax and Prince William Co. VA an ADDITIONAL 3+" from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m., with a smidgen more after that and with a few locations getting 4+". Ridiculous.

Dca will call the storm over and stop measuring. You watch. Lol

I am down to light snow now. I pulled off another 3/4 inch to finish the last band. I'm gonna say I get another 1/4 inch with this light stuff and call my storm total 39 inches. I may have hit 40. But in all honesty I dont know how to prove it. So 39 it is.

I may not measure again.

Nobody will ever convince me that the euro was better than the gfs this time. The NAM scored it's once every couple of years big victory. It will cause problems soon when we start thinking "remember what the Nam did with Jan 2016??"

Frankly the Euro sucked with this storm. It was jumpy and did its usual crap with cutting precip right before the storm.

Report from the SnowHole 10 mi S of DC about 5:45: 16"-18" on multiple measurements on my flat driveway, away from the cars and using my super-scientific wooden yardstick with painted 1/8" gradations.  I've lived here 40 years and 18", my previous record, still stands.  Still snowing though so there is hope!

It's one heck of a storm that drops 16-18" in the snow hole :)

Archived