SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sent a report of 25". Honestly it's probably more but no way to know for sure. Basing it off my own measurements all over the driveway throughout the day and nearby spotters. Fantastic storm. Still snowing though lighter than it has been all day.

Since I cleared the snowboard at 2pm it has 10 inches new snow, I had a storm total of 13.5 at 2pm. that means I am close to going over 24" total, it is so hard to measure accurately in this situation. This is a great storm for the whole region. Not sure what to do, I have measured in multiple spots. It is all wind driven at this point.

I have some issues with them today..but I think at least so far they've done ok...We were in a severe lull for 6-7 hours...It made a huge difference...

Problem is that they don't seem to be reporting they recovered like others nearby and they were in the heaviest bands.

Ditto.

And I'll be the first to say that my previous (low) expectations for DCA have/are going out the window. What a storm...!

Not often you forecast a jack of 3 feet, and bust significantly low, but I've pulled off that feat.

Absolutely immense...never seen anything like.

Its akin to a 400 mile wide lake band.

6:00 Update

Mod Snow

25 degrees

38 inches total accum

4 inches in last 3 hours

My neighborhood has transformed into something I have never seen before. It looks like a science station in Antarctica or something. There is the occasional neighbor out trying to shovel or use a snow blower. But overall, people just seem to be accepting the fact that they are not going anywhere for days. Cars are worthless. Just hunks of metal sitting in a stationary place for an indeterminate amount of time. The front of my house reminds me of the picture posted by a NY administrator in the banter thread the other day. The picture depicted a frozen wasteland and he was joking about us. 

This storm has reached new levels of incredible to me. The shear power of mother nature is both humbling and awe inspiring. I have a ton of work to do tomorrow starting to dig out and get my life back to some semblance of normalcy. In the mean time, tonight, I will just sit by the fireplace and tip my glass of scotch to the Great Blizzard of 2016. She has certainly earned her name.

Archived