Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fell asleep for a while (finally crashed) and when I woke up my cleared areas had a new 4.5 inches on them. I cleared them again and a little while ago measured another 2. That would bring me to 25.5" but you also are farther west and had that mega band for hours earlier. 

Add in that I might be slightly higher than 25.5 and I'd say you're probably accurate in that 29-31 range perhaps. And it's not done yet...I'll say i'll probably add another inch or two. 

I'm in Colesville as well. Just measured 30" And that's fresh standing snow, so it likely packed down more than a little.

6:00 Update

Mod Snow

25 degrees

38 inches total accum

4 inches in last 3 hours

My neighborhood has transformed into something I have never seen before. It looks like a science station in Antarctica or something. There is the occasional neighbor out trying to shovel or use a snow blower. But overall, people just seem to be accepting the fact that they are not going anywhere for days. Cars are worthless. Just hunks of metal sitting in a stationary place for an indeterminate amount of time. The front of my house reminds me of the picture posted by a NY administrator in the banter thread the other day. The picture depicted a frozen wasteland and he was joking about us.

This storm has reached new levels of incredible to me. The shear poser of mother nature is both humbling and awe inspiring. I have a ton of work to do tomorrow starting to dig out and get my life back to a semblance of normalcy. In the mean time, tonight, I will just sit by the fireplace and tip my glass of scotch to the Great Blizzard of 2016. She has certainly earned her name.

Perfect observation. It looks like a world I've never seen.

Mod Snow

25 degrees

38 inches total accum

4 inches in last 3 hours

My neighborhood has transformed into something I have never seen before. It looks like a science station in Antarctica or something. There is the occasional neighbor out trying to shovel or use a snow blower. But overall, people just seem to be accepting the fact that they are not going anywhere for days. Cars are worthless. Just hunks of metal sitting in a stationary place for an indeterminate amount of time. The front of my house reminds me of the picture posted by a NY administrator in the banter thread the other day. The picture depicted a frozen wasteland and he was joking about us. 

This storm has reached new levels of incredible to me. The shear poser of mother nature is both humbling and awe inspiring. I have a ton of work to do tomorrow starting to dig out and get my life back to a semblance of normalcy. In the mean time, tonight, I will just sit by the fireplace and tip my glass of scotch to the Great Blizzard of 2016. She has certainly earned her name.

Thanks for this.  Incredible.  I have to accept that I will be going no where for days.  I literally can't leave the house.  There is a wall of snow.  I am humbled for sure.  I am grateful to have witnessed it as well.

34 inches. Puking snow here. Relentless.

Area we shoveled at 1 pm already has 6 inches on it.

Thanks for measuring all day! I don't have a good spot to measure, so it's been nice to see your reports from just up the road.

I was out shoveling from 11:00 - 2:00 and by the time I finished, the first strip that I'd shoveled had another five inches on top. Crazy.

This death band has gone NUCLEAR. When the deathband first started, we had very small flakes and winds. Now it is puking Biff Tannen (Biffco) industrial-grade waste annihilation rakage! 

The winds are strong, visibilities are horrific and the snow is piling up like crazy.

Now I know why NWS upgraded us to 24-30. I have 25 inches.

This is now the greatest blizzard I have ever personally experienced in my entire life.

In terms of accumulation, this is more than the 2nd snowmageddon storm here (24 inches) and more than PD 1 (23 inches).

In terms of duration. This storm has been snowing here since 1245pm yesterday.

In terms of wind. Winds have been raking my house for hours and hours. At times, it has been near continuous heavy blowing snow with whiteout conditions.

This storm is special.

The Great Blizzard of 2016 is the greatest snowstorm of my life.

Mod Snow

25 degrees

38 inches total accum

4 inches in last 3 hours

This storm has reached new levels of incredible to me. The shear power of mother nature is both humbling and awe inspiring. I have a ton of work to do tomorrow starting to dig out and get my life back to some semblance of normalcy. In the mean time, tonight, I will just sit by the fireplace and tip my glass of scotch to the Great Blizzard of 2016. She has certainly earned her name.

Being from SNE and having witnessed 90" of snowfall 20 days, which paralyzed the MBTA for months....this is one of the most captivating obs posts that I have ever seen.

Thank you.

At this point I'm just going to go with 30" unless someone can prove it wrong. Which would be hard to do. I've gotten 2" in the last 2 hours. And it keeps snowing

CONGRATS man on your 30 inches. You DESERVE it! Congrats on a damn good world-class tracking job too. I learned tons from you and from many other incredibly talented hobbyists and professionals.

I hope you get 36 inches.

I'm in Colesville as well. Just measured 30" And that's fresh standing snow, so it likely packed down more than a little.

I'm in the neighborhood behind Dominic's Italian Grille. I tried to take like 10 or 20 measurements in areas that seemed representative. I think I may have screwed the measurement up when I fell asleep for a while earlier. Did you take a few and average? 

Very impressive how well the models performed this time around.  They more or less were in good agreement with each other many days out (relatively speaking to some other screw jobs in the past where something went wrong).  Yet, it was hard for us to believe until we saw it, especially the QPF forecasts.  Now we're seeing it and will never forget it.  We have right at 24" here NW of Vienna, VA. and we're not done yet.  Hope the HRR is also correct and we pick up several more.

Think this one has surpassed the shock and awe of the blizzard of 78 in Ohio when I was in HS.  The winds then were just awesome, but this....  this...   amazing to see something like this actually play out for everyone as modeled. 

Archived