SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the one. Favorite storm of all time. I didn't live here in 96 but I doubt I would have appreciated that storm like I have this one. It's one for the ages. My interest in long lead tracking is over this year. Most exhausting and enjoyable week of my weather nerd life. 

96 is great and covered a wider area, but it had sleet for a few hours and/or lull, etc.  this i stayed on the fringe during the downtime which probably helped, but after taking a walk just now i can confirm that is also my favorite storm.  i haven't been through one like this around here.  this beats feb 10.

Went out and cleared off snow for 4th time today. Drifts are 5-6ft. Snow coming down fast and furious. Best rates of the storm. 25" and could hit 30" if these rates keep up for the next few hours. It is ripping.

25/23

We've got 6' drifts across our backyard.

I'm old enough to remember the blizzard of April '73 in Iowa. These drifts remind me of that storm -- and I was a lot smaller then.

I am stumped too.  so much blowing snow I can't find a decent spot since my last measure that seems legit

What was your last "good" measurement, in your opinion? You're only a mile or two up the road from me, and I've had a heckuva time tryinng to get decent readings on my two boards today. After most recent bands have come through, I *think* I'm up to 19-20"....but I have only medium confidence in that, based on so much blowing snow.

Not everyone's. I was in a dry spot for 7 hours after getting 13 inches by 5 a.m. I was well on my way to getting 2' but things didn't work out. The guys who live in the counties along the western shore of the bay would probably pick another storm. This one is still awesome for DC folks and eve9ryone NW of 95, congrats to them. I just wish I could of shared in on the fun. I stayed up for 48 hrs tracking the storm and watching and measuring and only took a nap after being in their dryslot for hours.

I would have to pick for my area Feb 5-6 2010, January 1996 and PD2 ahead of this one because I got more snow during those storms.

Not talked about as much, but wasn't the surprise January 25, 2000 storm really good over there?

I realized I need to clean the dryer vent pipe that goes outside if I want to do laundry

This, and for those of you who have sump pump pipes draining somewhere out of your house....make sure you keep the area around that cleared as well. Forgot about the dryer vent, the heat pump AND the sump pipe until I did a walkaround of the house.   :axe:

Archived