Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if there's a way to capture the 24 hr loop as a .gif?

The College of Dupage might give you up to 16 hours of images. You'd have to capture each:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=LWX-N0Q-1-200

And you can get up to 12 hours through UCAR:

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KLWX∏=bref1&bkgr=gray&endDate=20160123&endTime=-1&duration=12

Additionally, programs like GR2Analyst can manually load NEXRAD sweep files. Again, you'd have to convert the whole mess into an animated GIF. It would take some time.

Just think there is still a chance that the very last band as the storm leaves could park itself right over DC for 3 hours while everyone else gets to watch. The snow will stop west to east. So, DC east usually gets a parting gift. 

Maybe, but from my experience as the storm moves east the west bands die out as they move east and the parting gift is generally no more than a burst of snow that puts down an inch.

Backed off over the past hour, vis around a half mile, maybe a little less.  Just got back from a 2hr jeb walk down to the lake.  Road was cleared this morning and has 8-9" on it since then, where it has not been cleared 20" and that was in an area with large trees on each side.  I hiked out to an open pasture thigh high and 22" was the most consistent stick.  Nice to see the banding fill in to the west, if we can sustain that till dark I think we can make a run at 28".

You were my choice for bullseye. But now I think its gonna be someone just north of Martinsburg. Congrats though. Great storm for you!

I've been lurking the entire time, just signed up.  Thought you guys in Winchester would be the bullseye, but holy crap.  It has been pure insanity here, I'm just north of Martinsburg, right along 81.  

No way we're under 3 feet right now, cars are buried, SUVs are nearly buried. 

To see the updated 36-48" NWS map for here is simply unreal.  

Yeah looking pretty disappointing in the district. Oh well, last night was rocking and we got 16-17 inches without mixing issues and thundersnow. No complaints.

I think these predictions of several additional inches are becoming a fantasy for DC.  I think over/under is 1-2" additional.  Would be really surprised to see 3".  

Archived