Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good storm for I-95, but it seems the best action is north and west. It's a major storm for here, but its not 1996 historical. Snow up to about my knees. Historical is up to my waist. Do we get there at I-95? That seems to be the big question. HRRR says yes. I have my doubts.

In my mind, this storm is going to have to dump on 95 for 8-10 hours or else it won't end up in the class of 96, 2003, or at least the first Feb of 2010. It will end up with 2009, the second Feb 2010, 2000, and maybe the 1983 storm. It just isn't hitting DC or Bmore hard enough. Could it still? Maybe. But it keeps advertising big snows on 95 and it still isn't happening. Time is running out. It was so close to a biblical storm. Just got the big snows too far NW. BWI might not even crack top 10.

Also disheartening that our area was given 30-36 inches by a lot of the models and now it looks like NYC and Philly are going to end with bigger amounts, quite possibly but a substantial amount.

Long-term radar doesn't show the dry slot filling in. The fact that some people are relying on one model showing unrealistic totals shows desperation (though understandably so). DCA isn't getting more than 5" additional inches out of this storm. The show is all along the Appalachians.

Dafuq...

Long-term radar doesn't show the dry slot filling in. The fact that some people are relying on one model showing unrealistic totals shows desperation (though understandably so). DCA isn't getting more than 5" additional inches out of this storm. The show is all along the Appalachians.

Huh? Just loop the radar. It has clearly filled in a good amount.

12:30, 27, -SN, 14.5"

I found a fair amount of 15.5"s here and there on the level.  But it was counterbalanced by plenty of 14"s....Going with 14.5"...Not running around my hood again. I think my initial measuring spot is fine...

I'm getting close to 20" now. That's an impressive difference. I wonder what DCA will report.

Long-term radar doesn't show the dry slot filling in. The fact that some people are relying on one model showing unrealistic totals shows desperation (though understandably so). DCA, at least, isn't getting more than 5" additional inches out of this storm. The show is all along the Appalachians.

I disagree. I'm bullish on DC getting another 4-8" or so. I think it's very possible once the ull gets closer. I think we snow until sunset at least

Archived