Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that this thing is giving NYC a good pounding as well, this storm should rank pretty high on the NESIS scale when it's all said and done.  This could end up as only the third "5" on the scale.. just under the Blizzard of 1996. Certainly a high 4.  

Probably hard to get 5 status without nailing the Hartford to Boston corridor, but you never know. I'd guess a solid NESIS 4.

It amazing how long the subsidence has remained aligned along 95 between DC and Baltimore. Fall line at work?

I think that stuff streaming in from Dover should hopefully full things in for the DC folks. I've been hanging on the edge in moderate snow for a while now. DC missed this pivot jackpot death band by just 25 miles. Incredible stuff.

Yeah I think immediately in DC people will disappointed unless this band gets here in a hurry and does serious work, but in the end it will still be a great event.

It is intense out there. Just walked across Fort Reno into the teeth of a strong N/NE wind. There's a big open field about a quarter-mile across. It's a great place to go during a snowstorm.

Several measures at home from 18.5-19". I feel reasonably confident about that because just about every step I took across

Fort Reno, the snow came up to my knee or above, which is some 20". So they weren't drifts. I stepped in a couple of those as well, one of which came up to mid-thigh, 28" or so. 

I'm right on the edge of being completely dryslotted.  Noticeably lightened in the past 30 minutes.  A couple house-shaking gusts.

The trained spotter I usually go with (2 W Elkridge) had 13.8" at 0620 and I know we had at least 2" in the 630-8am range.  That should put me near 18" total with another 2" from 8am-12pm.  Should be able to break 20" when the band pivots back through, but 24" might be tough.  Feb 5-6, 2010 is totally out of reach (didn't really expect it to be in play even though it would be awesome to challenge it). 

A testament to the lack of wind. Wonder how long it can hold.9e4fbd7da3b92858562cc2341d17d747.jpg

Wow.  I can't believe the lack of wind at your place.  It's been very windy here since yesterday evening.  My cars are actually almost free of snow.  I use my patio table as my measuring spot as it's usually in a nice protected spot in the rear of my house; it's been blown mostly snow free.  There is a 5-foot drift on the side of my house in front of my neighbors fence.  Roofs in the neighborhood are mostly snow-free too.  Drifts everywhere.

Archived