Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see some returns forming from the northern Beltway to BWI. I'd expect that to continue and fill in the space with the band to the south.

I love this part of a storm like this. Highest ratios should be imminent. Snow globes in the bands. Bring it!

You're good mattie. It's going to drop down on you within 30 mins

I was at 13.5" at 5am and then got dry slotted. I woke up from a nap and measured again and it was no different. I'm guessing I've gotten another inch or 2 when the flakes started flying again. Once again I'm in a dryslot but off to the east we have precip moving in off the ocean.

I was at 13.5" at 5am and then got dry slotted. I woke up from a nap and measured again and it was no different. I'm guessing I've gotten another inch or 2 when the flakes started flying again. Once again I'm in a dryslot but off to the east we have precip moving in off the ocean.

I have had some decent bands most of the morning since 7 AM up here. I am located near Stoney Creek. As shown on radar we have had some higher returns then south towards you. 

Just getting cursed here on the Mason-Dixon Line. That yellow blob is insane. In on the edge of it and it is just puking snow here. I have 7 driveway markers drilled into the ground up and down the lane. The snow is just under the 2 foot mark on each, around 22 inches on the ground unofficially. Just total destruction right now with the heaviest rates of the storm here so far.

I went out at 10 AM and traveled around the neighborhood to try and find the most reliable spot for measuring.  Very tough because the snow looks like a frozen snapshot of the sea surface in a storm.  I measured many times and got a range of 16 - 18 inches.  Snow was really ripping while I was out.  Just came in and measured 18 - 20.  So that was 2" in just under an hour.

I see a report on NBC4 of 30" in Winchester.  That seems dubious.

I dont know man. I might not have 30 but 27 or 28 wouldnt shock me. I'll measure in 45 minutes.

Nothing wrong in particular...

Just, it's white, blue (moderate) and red (intense). Looks like a clown map. If this is their normal winter map, I had no clue.

Just flipped the channel and saw it, and yeah, I think that's their normal winter map. Looks like a f***ing echocardiogram.

You can see some returns forming from the northern Beltway to BWI. I'd expect that to continue and fill in the space with the band to the south.

I'm in that band that stretches from 83 at the PA line SW down to Leesburg.  It's as heavy as anything from the pre-dawn hours but the flake size is much bigger.

Archived