Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should be entering the period where nearly stationary or slow moving bands oriented ne-sw and then n-s. Later everything will start pull east.

the next round could be a significant storm in and of itself.  i'm going 6-10" more to close it out.  maybe high, but think it's possible.

We should be entering the period where nearly stationary or slow moving bands oriented ne-sw and then n-s. Later everything will start pull east.

I want to really get my total "amped" up before it shuts off. Sitting at 19" now I figure if the bands are slow moving enough and drop heavy snow I can probably get close to 25" - let me know how they are!

I went out at 10 AM and traveled around the neighborhood to try and find the most reliable spot for measuring.  Very tough because the snow looks like a frozen snapshot of the sea surface in a storm.  I measured many times and got a range of 16 - 18 inches.  Snow was really ripping while I was out.  Just came in and measured 18 - 20.  So that was 2" in just under an hour.

I see a report on NBC4 of 30" in Winchester.  That seems dubious.

Someone said Seidel on TWC said 16 at DCA couple hours ago.

While we are at 18 in N Arlington, DCA is still several miles away.

I think they're reporting lower than that. In February 2010 the NWS briefly posted 30 inches for DCA on the daily climate report. It was later reduced to the 17 inch total.

Archived