Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that is the case. There were some crazy runs with 2 feet by 12Z, but most guidance I think pegged the area at ~12-20" by ghis time. Now we'll see what happens the rest of the day and this evening.

I think the pace is behind the blockbuster 1/22 GFS runs. But looking back at some of the IWM maps, the older GFS runs were pretty much in line with what we see right now.

We could still catch up, of course :) If the HRRR is correct, we'll end up with final tallies pretty close to the 1/22 GFS runs.

Shoveled from 8-9am.  Didn't try to get to my usual measuring spot but came up with approx 15.5-16" at 8am (may have been in a slight drift; hard to tell), plus maybe another 1/2"-1" while shoveling.  So, guesstimate of approx 14-17" at 9am on east side of Columbia.

Snow shoveled was rather light/fluffy, just deep. Temp has fluctuated on either side of 22 degrees all morning.

It's all gravy from here.  The sun could come out now and I'd still be happy at this point (words of horror to some, I know).  This will be a minimum 2-day dig-out for many unless you have a team working with you.

Question about these spotter reports:  are these numbers from 6-hour measurements, or are they snow depth?

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

1 SE MONT VILL:   20.5 809 AM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

GAITHERSBURG:  19.0 738 AM 1/23 COUNTY EMRG MGMT

1 ENE GARR PK    18.0 600 AM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 ESE NORBECK   17.6 700 AM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

GERMANTOWN     17.0 636 AM 1/23 PUBLIC

I live in northern Montgomery Village. Drifting makes accurate measurements difficult, but I believe 20.5" is in the ballpark for total snow depth.

We had maybe 1/2 inch on the ground prior to the storm.

9:00

Heavy snow

22 Degrees

21 inches

5 inches in past 2 hours

Just went for a Jebwalk in some of the heaviest snow I have ever seen. Dendrites coming down at an insane rate drops visibility's to 100 yards or so. A neighbor decides he is gong to work regardless. He makes it out of his driveway only to immediately wedge his Jeep up to the undercarraige. I help dig him out. he smartly backs up into his driveway and say's F this. About the only negative I can think of with this storm is the lack of any real wind. I am getting 10-15 MPH winds with minimal drifting. This one is shaping up to be one for the ages.

Question about these spotter reports: are these numbers from 6-hour measurements, or are they snow depth?

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

1 SE MONT VILL: 20.5 809 AM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

GAITHERSBURG: 19.0 738 AM 1/23 COUNTY EMRG MGMT

1 ENE GARR PK 18.0 600 AM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 ESE NORBECK 17.6 700 AM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

GERMANTOWN 17.0 636 AM 1/23 PUBLIC

Trained spotters I'd think would do the standard 6 hour measurements. Public reports, not sure. Now as for me, I'll readily admit I'm stuck having to measure snow depth technically during these events. Live in an apartment and cannot exactly set up a snow board and all that for truly proper measurements. But over the years I've found my reports are pretty consistent with others nearby my area. And I measure regularly throughout a storm. About the best I can do in the circumstances; if anything, my results could even be somewhat underestimated due to settling as an event goes on.

Archived