Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing SN-. Some riming, maybe, but no pingers over here (Selby). 

You can see the sleet line retreating back east in the last couple frames here:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=LWX-N0C-1-24

Crazy IM 1 miles SE of you behind Lou's and I didnt see 1 flake when I just looked out but can hear the sleet on the windows clearly. Correlation Coefficient loop on radar scope looked better with the bright yellows going away

I think I made the correct call sleeping from 1130 til now.  Should be able to power through the rest of the event.

Ditto on that Teacherman, We got absolutely DESTROYED in Dale City.

MY G-DDAMN 15 INCH SNOW STAKE IS COMPLETELY COVERED!!! Drifting is SURREAL!!! Its pouring tons and tons of snow!

Riddle me this one, Batman.

What dryslot?

What sleet?

My snowboard  isn't working out due to the wind...measuring in the most protected spot we are right around 12" at this point.  Both HRR and RAP indicate another 1.5"+qpf.  Hoping to crack that 2' mark.  Heavy snow with gusts 15-25mph currently.  Not the wind being experienced further east but it sure is impressive outside nonetheless.

Just got back from 2nd round of shoveling. About 14-15 inches total which agrees with kml who is not too far away. Although it wasn't all that bad during the 45+ minutes I was out there - lots of small rimed crystals, and only picked up another half inch. Looks like cloud top temps are -15 to -20 which might be a bit too warm for optimal growth, as opposed to -40 earlier while I was sleeping. We did pick up 9 inches in 5 hours before that though, and some 30-40 dBZ returns are incoming. Echoes are building near RIC again which is encouraging as well.

eta: wind was noticeable even in my relatively sheltered location. Rooftop mounted PWS getting gusts to 20 mph.

Archived