• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

6.4 is my midnight #. Took about a dozen measurements. Rimed styrofoam layer on top but dendrites are coming back in force. Short range models are killing it today. Everything is right on schedule

Took mine right at midnight. 7.1" so far. 19.2F / 19F. Winds E11G20. Here's the obligatory deck pic:

post-109-0-68620600-1453525980_thumb.jpe

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was telling Matt and Ian that how are we supposed to feel about a rando 4 to 8 incher now?

You know the new normal around here... Go years without a storm and then finally get one and it sets records. If they keep being this large, I can wait every few years for a return period.

was just out for a little drive.  i can confirm it's still snow in bethesda.  yes, there's some of the bouncy/rimed flakes mixed in, but i don't think that's sleet.  that said, certainly is a battle zone going on nearby so will see what happens.

7" here, but that was about 30 mins ago.

That band is getting real close to DC, also appears the sleet line is creeping up.  I'm really curious to see what happens when that hits DC.

Sleet is actually holding nicely to our south.  To figure this out use these two links:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=LWX-N0Q-1-24

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=LWX-N0C-1-24

The second link, all of the bright yellow returns show exactly where the sleet is.  Open both of those links in two separate tabs and align the border of MD and PA at the very top of your browser.  If you switch back and forth between the two tabs, you can see that the heavy returns from the first link are continuing to progress towards the city, while the yellow returns (sleet) in the second tab is getting held to the south around Ft Washington.

RAP has forecasted this incoming deathband the just several runs... The question is can we keep it all snow. For the record, it predicted it would be 2-2.5"/hr snow. Given how juicy it looks on radar, that would indicate at least some mixing... but who knows? Maybe it's a 2013 CT style uber-deathband

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived