Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

measured about .8" about 15 minutes ago and intensity is starting to pick up.  HRRR continues to want to put MDT at about 6" around midnight to 1 am so that may be our first indicator here of how HRRR might be doing... I would gladly take even just 2/3rds what the output has been so far!  Its just crazy to realize we are seeing accumulating snow here with a low down in the carolinas!

measured about .8" about 15 minutes ago and intensity is starting to pick up.  HRRR continues to want to put MDT at about 6" around midnight to 1 am so that may be our first indicator here of how HRRR might be doing... I would gladly take even just 2/3rds what the output has been so far!  Its just crazy to realize we are seeing accumulating snow here with a low down in the carolinas!

This storm is nuts.

It took all of 1 minute for snow to stick, now this band is dumping nicely here. Will do a shovel pass around 10,, then hedge my bets until late morning,

This storm is nuts.

It took all of 1 minute for snow to stick, now this band is dumping nicely here. Will do a shovel pass around 10,, then hedge my bets until late morning,

just like I think it was Sauss who said this morning the ground is rock hard solid frozen and its just sticking to everything on contact... plus it didnt take long to go from virga to accumulating snow... we just don't see that often here

Some encouragement for you guys out above the turnpike and beyond, but out this way the precip shield and moisture in general has expanded in line much more with the OP NAM than the GFS. Should really bode well for most of you guys as it appears that really, the NAM is verifying.

Some encouragement for you guys out above the turnpike and beyond, but out this way the precip shield and moisture in general has expanded in line much more with the OP NAM than the GFS. Should really bode well for most of you guys as it appears that really, the NAM is verifying.

The big question though...what is actual precipitation versus virga?

Tend to agree - looking at the radar filling in to my south it's hard to buy into the sharp gradient being around I-80.

The big question though...what is actual precipitation versus virga?

Well, I can tell you that I just measured, and I am already at an inch. Considering that I was modeled and forecasted for about 3 I would say I am doing really well and have moderate snow and probably about a .5 mile visibility right now.

Also, as far as our area, We have moderate snow all the way up to the allegheny/butler county line, allegheny being Pittsburgh's county. I would say that line of moderate snow extends out to state college.

Archived