Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning fellow weenies...

Well, unbelievable seems like an awfully weak adjective to use to describe the scene here.  I haven't read any messages since 2:00am so I have some catching up to do, but here are my updated storm stats as of 8:00AM:

Snowfall since midnight = 13.0"

Liquid equivalent = 1.06"

Period Ratio since midnight = 12.3 : 1

Storm snowfall total:  16.5"

Storm liquid total: 1.37"

Storm Ratio: 12:1

Temp hasn't budged and still is at 21.3 degrees.  Winds are sustained at 11mph from the North, gusting to 24, which is the peak wind of the storm and just occurred five minutes ago.  Updates to come again at 9:00. WOW!!!!

See a lot of disappointed folks in the eastern suburbs of Balt/Wash areas who flipped to sleet and are "only" around 10" or so. Horst was trumping that big time 2 or 3 days ago and when someone would question it down there in that forum they were vilified as being nuts. 

Eric certainly isn't perfect...but he's darned good. 

Looks like about 18 inches snow. Did not actually measure but before the storm started I put out fiber glass driveway marker sticks up and down the driveway and tape at various levels on each stick. The snow is up to the 18 inch mark on each stick. Deck rails are 36 inches tall on the back of the house and the snow is exactly half way up. It appears to be around a uniform 18 inches throughout the property unofficially.

Kinda sad to see how close that band was to us all night. But I really can't complain too much, given what our friends in Clearfield and Williamsport had to put up with.

Yeah this ones hard to swallow...Happy for everyone on here but would love to be joining in on the fun.

Havent seen 12" of snow (from one storm) since the december storm 10 or so years ago.

I'm never throwing shade at the SREFs or NAM again..

14 " average measurement 5 miles east of Harrisburg.

They screwed the northern edge but the trend of the heavy axis getting to 78 was right, no other model showed it.

The Euro failed big time. GFS did great just not at the extreme northern edge it seems.

Archived