SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nws just upped their amounts now for this second tier of counties in the south to 15-18 inches what a coup the nam scored on this one.     Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA1247 AM EST SAT JAN 23 2016PAZ024>028-232330-/O.CON.KCTP.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-160124T0500Z/CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-MIFFLIN-JUNIATA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSTOWN...ALTOONA...HUNTINGDON...MOUNT UNION...LEWISTOWN...MIFFLINTOWN1247 AM EST SAT JAN 23 2016...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT ESTTONIGHT...* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...15 TO 18 INCHES.* TIMING...HEAVY SNOW WITH RAPID ACCUMULATION RATES OF 1 TO 2  INCHES PER HOUR WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SNOW  WILL TAPER OFF LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND SATURDAY EVENING.* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. SOME ROADS  WILL BECOME IMPASSABLE BY SATURDAY MORNING WITH NEAR WHITEOUT  CONDITIONS FROM SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.USE EXTREME CAUTION IF TRAVELING. FOR THE LATEST WEATHERINFORMATION...GO TO WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE OR MONITOR NOAAWEATHER RADIO.REPORT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICESTATE COLLEGE BY SENDING AN EMAIL TO [email protected] TO THE NWS STATE COLLEGE FACEBOOK PAGE...OR TWEET@NWSSTATECOLLEGE WITH THE HASHTAG C...T...P...W...X.&&$$

Finally, it has begun...

talking to a friend in the Hanover Section of Nanticoke, and no snow is falling as of 2 mins ago. kinda weird given the radar, and the model trends. makes me wonder if the mountains near i-80 create the screw-zone for the valley. trends are saying hazleton gets more, which is likely. but too bad they don't have separate zones between northern Luzerne County and southern, because I wonder if that verifies in this case.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA1231 AM EST SAT JAN 23 2016PAZ036-056>059-063>066-231000-FRANKLIN-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-1231 AM EST SAT JAN 23 2016...HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES TO IMPACT THE LOWER SUSQUEHANNA VALLEYTHROUGH 5 AM...SNOWFALL WILL INCREASE IN INTENSITY OVER THE NEXT SEVERALHOURS...ESPECIALLY TOWARDS MORNING. ACCUMULATION RATES OF 1 TO 2INCHES PER HOUR ARE EXPECTED. WINDS WILL ALSO INCREASE WITHFREQUENT GUSTS BETWEEN 25 AND 35 MPH. THUNDERSNOW IS ALSOPOSSIBLE.HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE EXTREMELY DANGEROUSWHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY.TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.

Not nearly as exciting as you guys out my way, but really over performing here. Lots of reports even right around Pittsburgh of 4-6 inches, and our southern tier is going to end up 12-24 inches.

Mag, we have shifted at this point everything moving south to north to basically east to west at this point, and actually where I am at just north of PGH it is snowing the hardest it has all night. Do you have any idea just how much moisture might kick back our way with the coastal taking over, and if we will see any decent banding?

Snowing nicely in the valley near Hazleton. Prob about an inch on the ground.

any indication if it's snowing in say Shickshinny/Mocanaqua, or say in downtown wilkes barre compared to Bear Creek or Mountain Top? because what I'm hearing my friend in Hanover Section, there maybe be a bunch of virga that isn't making it to the surface attm in the valley floor.

any indication if it's snowing in say Shickshinny/Mocanaqua, or say in downtown wilkes barre compared to Bear Creek or Mountain Top? because what I'm hearing my friend in Hanover Section, there maybe be a bunch of virga that isn't making it to the surface attm in the valley floor.

I've got very light snow now.

Cannot say what its doing north of me.. I can't imagine virga is that close to me... but what do I know.

I'm in Sugarloaf to be more specific btw. Light snow right now...

Archived