joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's definitely 1-1.5"/hr stuff. That band would be the difference between 3" and 8" overnight...

Definitely interesting out this way!

Not surprisingly the front edge died off as it moved in. Looks like that band just won't make it. But I have high hopes for some heavy bands tomorrow morning.

MAG, do you think we could pull our own 2/5-6/10 here? Feels like something similar to what UNV was looking at around this time for that event...maybe not 15-18" but still?

I think you have a shot at least seeing more than the forecast 1-3" for the city. RAP seems to get the 6" line there and the HRRR has about 3-4" with Scranton/WB with more of the storm to go at the end of the range. HRRR also doesn't seem to get greens up into Luzerne county until around 2am or so.

This storm has more slant than the 2/5-6 storm, there's not the intense blocking regime to the north that eventually forced the 2010 shield to the east and even ESE fringing NE PA. This one's oriented more SW-NE, which while probably keeping Pit out of the very heavy stuff, will penetrate into NE PA and potentially with similar amounts to whatever the PIT gang (in the city) receives. And those guys actually aren't looking too bad right now. 

MAG, what do you see for my area (Tamaqua)? I doubt it'll be what they get down in Harrisburg, but does greater than a foot look good up this way?

For the record, in the past 15 minutes we started getting these crazy big, almost dime sized flakes. It's pushing the accumulation up rather quickly at the moment.

Yea you def have a shot at a foot or so. The Near term models just really slam all of eastern Penn from I-80 south (as well as good snow getting up I-81) to NortheastPAwx. 

MAG how much have you gotten so far and has anyone heard if Clearfield is in the fun?

Just measured 4.3" and it's snowing pretty hard right now. Def seems the southern end of Blair is doing quite well judging by your amount. Haven't seen 2001kx post anything this eve.. but there has looked to be some fairly steady light snow up there and CTP did upgrade Clearfield County to an advisory. 511pa cameras in and around Clearfield all show snowcovered roads so would imagine he has at least an inch or two. 

weird we are now up to about 9 inches on the point and click forecast and we don't have  a wsw yet.

:o

Are you psychic.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1232 AM EST SAT JAN 23 2016

PAZ044-047-048-072-240545-

/O.UPG.KBGM.WW.Y.0002.160123T0600Z-160124T1200Z/

/O.NEW.KBGM.WS.W.0001.160123T0600Z-160124T0600Z/

LACKAWANNA-LUZERNE-PIKE-SOUTHERN WAYNE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SCRANTON...WILKES-BARRE...HAZLETON...

MILFORD...HONESDALE

1232 AM EST SAT JAN 23 2016

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST

SUNDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...THE POCONO MOUNTAIN REGION IN NORTHEAST

PENNSYLVANIA.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES...HIGHEST

NEAR HAZLETON AND WILKES-BARRE RUNNING EAST TO AREAS ALONG AND

SOUTH OF I-84.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS THE

REGION OVERNIGHT AND FALL HEAVIEST DURING SATURDAY MORNING WHEN

RATES COULD EXCEED AN INCH PER HOUR AT TIMES. SNOW CONTINUES IN

THE AFTERNOON BEFORE WINDING DOWN IN THE EVENING.

* IMPACTS...DANGEROUS TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW, BLOWING SNOW, AND POOR

VISIBILITY.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...13 TO 24.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF

SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN

AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...

FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

PLEASE REPORT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY

CALLING TOLL FREE AT 1-877-633-6772...OR BY EMAIL AT

[email protected].

&&

$

Just measured 4.3" and it's snowing pretty hard right now. Def seems the southern end of Blair is doing quite well judging by your amount. Haven't seen 2001kx post anything this eve.. but there has looked to be some fairly steady light snow up there and CTP did upgrade Clearfield County to an advisory. 511pa cameras in and around Clearfield all show snowcovered roads so would imagine he has at least an inch or two. 

2001 k should be doing better since the NW edge of the shield has pushed away from here. snowing the hardest all night. Wind has picked up a bit. Measured 3.1" 

I'm happy 2001kx isn't getting shut out.  I've been seeing snow rates of 1.5" to 2" per hour for the last 2 hours and was wondering if you thought it would keep up once the transfer is complete?

From the NWS for Cumberland County

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...24 TO 30 INCHES.

* TIMING...HEAVY SNOW WITH RAPID ACCUMULATION RATES OF 1 TO 2

INCHES PER HOUR WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SNOW

WILL TAPER OFF SATURDAY NIGHT AND END BY EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. SOME ROADS WILL

BECOME IMPASSABLE BY SATURDAY MORNING WITH NEAR WHITEOUT

CONDITIONS FROM SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. WIND GUSTS FROM THE

NORTH- NORTHEAST UP TO 35 MPH WILL CAUSE NEAR BLIZZARD

CONDITIONS IN SOME AREAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived