SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words and am glad to see you guys getting it good tonight and tomorrow.  I was just a weenie like most here though I do have the claim to fame that Dave Tolleris called me once to "talk weather". I think he thought I was a Met.  Not sure how he got my number.  I remember a Scott Simard from NE but that may have been way back at #neweather usenet.  I do remember PSUHoffman as well.  There was a guy in N PA that used to drive truck up and down the east coast...maybe Rick was his name? I work in IT and was going to get much more involved in EUS as to helping Marcus with IT Op's but went through a divorce and just could not do it. He is a good guy though.  Back to snow talk for you guys!

Hey bubbler86...nice to see you again!  Where in FL are you?  I was just down in Jensen Beach for a nice week vacation back in the end of October.  It was in the mid to upper 80's the entire week.

I can top your claim to fame regarding DT.  I've known DT personally for 20 years and even attended his wedding.  He used to live in Manhattan, and worked for a private weather company, Compuweather, based out on Long Island.  He spoke at our local weather club, the North Jersey Weather Observers, periodically.  One thing I can say about him is that he was pretty wild even back then before he was married.  He had a very hard time not cursing while he was giving his weather talks.  It was rather amusing.  I personally feel sorry for him over his bust.  I don't think we should ever "wish" busts on anyone regardless of how we might feel about them.

Ok, back to the storm for me, too...

Already at 3.3" with the classic mid snowstorm moderate-heavy driving snow. Being well settled into the precip shield I'm starting to get that feeling this thing has a shot of heading north of 12" here (6-10" from north to south in the county with current warning). Looks like a nice heavy band working deep into true central from Bedford- Just SE of UNV - Lewistown.

Still not sure this gets north enough to go full Feb 5-6, 2010 but that one had 17" here so here's hoping. 

Already at 3.3" with the classic mid snowstorm moderate-heavy driving snow. Being well settled into the precip shield I'm starting to get that feeling this thing has a shot of heading north of 12" here (6-10" from north to south in the county with current warning). Looks like a nice heavy band working deep into true central from Bedford- Just SE of UNV - Lewistown.

Still not sure this gets north enough to go full Feb 5-6, 2010 but that one had 17" here so here's hoping.

You think MDT can hit 12"?

Hey bubbler86...nice to see you again!  Where in FL are you?  I was just down in Jensen Beach for a nice week vacation back in the end of October.  It was in the mid to upper 80's the entire week.

I can top your claim to fame regarding DT.  I've known DT personally for 20 years and even attended his wedding.  He used to live in Manhattan, and worked for a private weather company, Compuweather, based out on Long Island.  He spoke at our local weather club, the North Jersey Weather Observers, periodically.  One thing I can say about him is that he was pretty wild even back then before he was married.  He had a very hard time not cursing while he was giving his weather talks.  It was rather amusing.  I personally feel sorry for him over his bust.  I don't think we should ever "wish" busts on anyone regardless of how we might feel about them.

Ok, back to the storm for me, too...

Hey Carlisle...I always enjoy your posts when I can get back here, usually lurking, since you are in my former home base.  That is quite a DT story.  He certainly has a tremendous issue with maintaining his composure.  But I agree with you in that he does not deserve a bust regardless of his sometimes toxic way of communication.  I am in Summerfield between The Villages and Ocala.  My house may be for rent soon so maybe we could swap places if you really enjoyed FL?  Ha.    I would love to be back in Carlisle. I used to live in a small development just outside of Mayapple and miss the area.  

Looks like if we had to make an early call, the NAM is indeed the king tonight.  If I remember correctly, the ETA/NAM has scored some of the bigger coups.  Somewhere in the LSV the big band is going to pivot and just give historic snows.  Would love to see some 30+ reports. 

Radar not looking too great for UNV at the moment... Not seeing any kind of NW movement to the precip. Still we have about 1" of fluff so far, just to our SE must be getting pounded

I think that band will probably struggle to reach us for several hours yet, but then I think it will make the final push and sit on us for several hours. To great effect. ^_^

You think MDT can hit 12"?

I certainly don't really see why you wouldn't, latest HRRR and RAP hammer the Sus Valley with H-burg in the 12-18" zone on the 15hr HRRR and the RAP has you in 18-24" (goes to 27hr now). Just hours of solid green on the simulated reflectivity. 

How much do you have so far?

MAG, what do you see for my area (Tamaqua)? I doubt it'll be what they get down in Harrisburg, but does greater than a foot look good up this way?

For the record, in the past 15 minutes we started getting these crazy big, almost dime sized flakes. It's pushing the accumulation up rather quickly at the moment.

Archived