• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorology and Electrical/Computer Engineering

BDR

I'd like to know if there's any meteorological or atmospheric science-related jobs for electrical/computer engineers. I'm graduating in a few months with a BS in ECE and would appreciate anyone's input on this. 

I've worked with signal and noise processing, so I imagine radar is a possible field to look into. Weather data collection also seems relevant. I can't find much online about either in relation to engineering, though.

Thanks in advance!

I'm a mechanical engineering student with similar experience . There are a two companies that I know of in my area that I know of. The first is a consulting company specializing in manufacturing and energy production called All4. The other is a defense contractor called Adaptive Methods. I imagine that there are many others that specialize in both these spectrums among others.

I'm an electronics engineer with the U.S. Department of Commerce. I don't work for NOAA, though I know people who do.

And yes, there are E/CprE grads who work for NOAA. They work on hardware such as NEXRAD upgrades (phased array systems are up-and-coming), satellite system design, experimental/system testing and analysis, and the computer systems necessary to process the massive amounts of data and advanced algorithms NOAA scientists develop. They also work in areas such as telecommunications and radio spectrum engineering and management (my area of expertise).

As for where such jobs are and when they are open, I'd recommend keeping an eye on usajobs.gov. You might also do some research into the work various NOAA labs and organizational divisions do (Severe Storms, Earth Systems Research, NESDIS, etc.) and perhaps contact people there to inquire 1) what sort of jobs might be available and 2) express your interest in such. Government hiring is an interesting thing -- there are standards hiring authorities have to follow -- but it never hurts to develop contacts where you'd like to work.

Archived