• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24/16 #1 All Time KNYC Snowfall-please add Obs, Accums, Pics

WeatherFox

I don't trust any totals over 25" and I don't trust any reports under 18" in Nassau Co.

If people would just use snow depth as there reading the discrepancies wouldn't be so big . To me what u have on the ground is what you should report . Some of these numbers are ridiculous

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any of you are interested, I wrote this up on the NAM and probability forecast from the NWS. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-ominous-snow-forecasts-for-new-york-city-were-right/

I should note, of course, that it's simplified for more of a mainstream audience. 

That's just right for an article of this type, Harry.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Great piece, Harry.

Nice article. 538 is Nate Silvers site; I knew him as Poblano when he was an anonymous poster on a political site. his political forecasts are usually money, though he uses intangibles while other sites such as Pollster RCP and Sam Wang at Princeton just throw polls into the mix and average them.Nate got his reputation doing baseball stats, which are IMO probably more interesting than the game itself....

If people would just use snow depth as there reading the discrepancies wouldn't be so big . To me what u have on the ground is what you should report . Some of these numbers are ridiculous

If you wait until after the storm is over there is compaction that comes into play. Measuring every 6hrs on a board away from buildings and trees, then clearing it, is the most accurate way. 

How so? Boston and WDC have never had a 30 inch storm.

Dulles airport is in Virginia and 35 miles outsdie WDC. TWC constantly uses that as a WDC total which it is not. The officiail totals at Reagan airport is the only station in WDC those are the only totals that are actually in Washington.

DCA is in Arlington Virginia and their obs are notoriously wrong...lol

At least 18 counties in the Washington forecast area had a location with over 30 inches of snow and at least 3 counties had totals right at or just under 40.

It probably helps being that much closer to the Gulf of Mexico moisture that gives the area higher totals than the NYC metro area.

If you wait until after the storm is over there is compaction that comes into play. Measuring every 6hrs on a board away from buildings and trees, then clearing it, is the most accurate way. 

Definitely most accurate assuming the board is in a representative spot (not always easy)...but since most just stick the yardstick in the ground the scientific approach produces what seems like anomalous high totals.  As one met put it, run around the yard and do many measurements.  It quickly becomes apparent what the real total is.  Do this every few hours and the most on the ground at any one time should be reported as the storm total IMO.  At least this provides a fair comparison among stations.  

So my brothers total of 30" in Flemington turns out to be a tick too high. I spoke to him this morning and he did say his measuring area was a little close to a roof so that could of been the problem, but its still really close to the official total. 

...HUNTERDON COUNTY...
WHITEHOUSE 29.6 800 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
FLEMINGTON 28.3 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
WHITEHOUSE STATION 26.6 845 PM 1/23 BROADCAST MEDIA

...MERCER COUNTY...
HOPEWELL 23.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
LAWRENCEVILLE 22.4 1000 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
TRENTON 22.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
PRINCETON 22.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
PENNINGTON 20.5 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
HAMILTON TWP 20.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
EWING 18.5 1245 AM 1/24 TRAINED SPOTTER
ROBBINSVILLE 16.0 945 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...
METUCHEN 27.7 930 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
EAST BRUNSWICK 24.0 800 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
PERTH AMBOY 23.0 800 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
MONROE TWP 23.0 800 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
SOUTH PLAINFIELD 19.0 800 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
CRANBURY 17.1 1000 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
CHEESEQUAKE 16.0 1100 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

23.5" final total here.  There was some major compaction going on in this long duration heavy snow event.  Using an official method of measuring snow likely would have added a few inches to this total.  My view is it's new snow actually on the ground at the time of measurement that is most important to convey the storm's impact, but that's just me.  

Best guess here in Three Bridges is 23".  Sounds reasonable after seeing your total.

Wow!!

Measuring in a backyard is always tricky in a storm like this-it's usually inflated because of roof snow blowoff.

i agreed. Def not thinking it was very accurate, just wanted to get a ballpark. Impossible to even know where I am as the winds were insane and yes roof snow filtered in

Archived