SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/23-24/16 #1 All Time KNYC Snowfall-please add Obs, Accums, Pics

WeatherFox

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did one last shovel (#6) - toughest one as the plows had just come by and tossed all the heavy wet stuff into the mouth of my driveway.  Anyway, after that I took a quick spin to the middle school since I knew that was the only place I could get a good measurement. Final tally for Metuchen was 22", which is the 3rd most I've seen in my 24 years in Metuchen (28" for Jan-96 and 23" for Dec-2010).  Helluva storm.  

Worth repeating that I experienced a lot of difficulty getting a consistent measurement in my backyard, which is a good size with few trees, and has usually been good for previous storms: the variance was much greater than previous storms.   I'd take 20 measurements and the range would be something like 7 to 13" with a mean of 10",and a pretty high standard deviation - in addiiton, I was afraid my sample selection was biased.  So earlier today I went to the local school ball fields, which showed far less variance, providing much more confidence that the measurement was correct and unbiased.  For example, I took about 10 measurements and basically saw almost no variability on my 18.5" measurement at 5 pm or my 22" final measurement at 11 pm.  

Given the variance I observed, presumably due to the high winds and low moisture content snowflakes, which made drifting worse than I've seen before, I do wonder a bit about the accuracy of some of the reports published by the NWS or reported here.  Not that I suspect inflation, per se, it's just that the variance made it easy to obtain an erroneously high or low result.  

96 was a huge undermeasurement. We had 28" in Brooklyn.

I've had enough times finishing out of the money here that I have no problem believing such discrepancies.  I thought today might be the one I jackpotted in but no it wasn't.  However I did watch the radar closely and we definitely missed all of the best banding until a little before 4PM today when we got into a great 3"/hour band.  Even with that I am going to be way lower than ISP which is about 10 miles SSE from here.  Based on the radar throughout the storm, I am not having any problem believing NYC got close to a foot more than here.

Other than 2/8/2013, my location has been near the bottom in a lot of the greats.  Perhaps there is a local mesoscale reason for it and perhaps it's just luck, but stuff happens.

PS 17" snow depth right now, which is also my storm total.

Fwiw, I'm not annoyed or upset, it just bugs me. Like accuweather "real feel" and espn QBR.

I just dislike private corporation naming of public things.

Nothing personal. Hope I didn't offend you.

No way. Absolutely not. :)

What offends me is that I missed perhaps the NYC area's best snow event in a century. It was still awesome to live vicariously through everyone's posts here. 

Archived