Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/23-24/16 #1 All Time KNYC Snowfall-please add Obs, Accums, Pics

WeatherFox

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Central Park measurement sure seems 0.5-1.0 too low.  They had 6.0, then had .90 liquid and only got another 8.7 inches?  Ehhh, maybe but I think its low.  EWR I think may be too high at the same time.

The more distressing componenet is the incredibly low and highly inaccurate QPF measurement out of the the Queens airports. pure IMPOSSIBLE  no tto have QPF nearing  or exceeding 1.50 and they are reporting less than .75... we do NOT have 20-1 ratios. Did the zoo guy switch jobs and handle LGA and JFK simultaneously????

The more distressing componenet is the incredibly low and highly inaccurate QPF measurement out of the the Queens airports. pure IMPOSSIBLE no tto have QPF nearing or exceeding 1.50 and they are reporting less than .75... we do NOT have 20-1 ratios. Did the zoo guy switch jobs and handle LGA and JFK simultaneously????

All airports measure QPF poorly now in snow events, the ASOS does not do a good job. Years back the observer I think took an hourly snow core for measurement. The Central Park ASOS does so well because it is shielded from wind but someone from the NWS perhaps it was Bill G? Told us here a year or two back that they think it may actually over measure QPF a bit for some reason. Maybe snow falling off trees and in? If that's the case their measurement may be good

That record in 2006 is bogus. It didn't look like 26.7 inches at all.

I was on 52nd street on the east side during that storm and was awoken early in the AM from sound sleep by thunder and lightning right over midtown.....went on for a good couple hours on and off with visible lightning flashes.

went out to central park later in the day.....it was definitely 2 feet give or take a few inches either side.

it all depends on where the deathband sets up, on that day it just happened to be right  over midtown for a part of it.

I'm sure they have undermeasured and overmeasured in other storms. its not an exact science.

Danbury DOT always reporting low, every single storm. 

Except for that storm when Quincy just about beat them upside the head with the correct info and they amended their reports and nearly doubled the amounts.

Yes. Buddy of mine had 4 in North Ridgefield an hour ago

exactly what I have. 

I am easily double that here and there's no sign of it easing up.  I wish I could get a decent measurement but the snowboard I set up ended up in a spot that is nearly blown down to bare ground and the board is dry.  30 feet away it's about 10" deep and a few feet past that it's over 2 feet deep in a drift.

Archived