• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-24th Blizzard Observation and Snow Reports

The Iceman

Wow. Compared to just NW of me with folks getting 20+ inches, that dryslot screw zone hole over this part of the city made a difference. It was tough to find a spot that was relatively level given some areas were literally bare to the ground with grass showing and other areas had 3 ft drifts but I averaged about 18.5". Climbing in and through it was a nuisance though.

The good thing was that during most of the duration, the snow here remained pretty powdery (like 1996) so the trees have little or nothing on them (which pretty much helped to eliminate power outages) and many of the car roofs and hoods were bare. I expected it to feel much colder out but I guess the temp being ~28F with little wind helped. I wouldn't be surprised if some good sublimation will be happening today given the fineness of the snow.

Yea, that subsidence zone was the killer yesterday in and around Philly. I picked up 8-9 inches during that time while Philly was OVC or just lt snow or flurries. That was the difference as the NW suburbs totals are in the 26-32" zone with closer to philly 6-10 less.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ralph and the Allentown area get the coveted lollipop award

hqdefault_zpsobmpa3ll.jpg

It paid to literallly be just to the West and North of the dry slot by just 5 miles or so. If u go back and loop radar you can see during the afternoon while Bensalem was in the dry slot, my area was under a blob of some sort that just sat there and didn't move. Must have been some sort of lifting. Then once that blob started to move ESE with the dry slot, another death band rolled thru with 3-4"/hr rates. Was a really incredible storm.

I give the models a B+ on this one for agreement in the long range. However, Euro gets a D-. What saved the Euro from an F was the fact it actually nailed the storm last Sunday for 2 consecutive runs, then it crapped the bed all week long. NAM gets an A- for hi-res models in that it sniffed out the very heavy QPF and the Northward shift.

Just looking at the totals. Looks like my low 30's is accurate. That death band north of the dry slot hung in there for hours. It poured snow for 4 hours. I couldnt keep up while shoveling. I saw 2" accumulate in 20 minutes around 3 pm. Sun was killer today. Lots of compaction. So glad I shoveled when I did. Took a drive. NJ Dot did well even on side streets. Can't say the same for Penn Dot.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm in err or the 'trained spotter' from Warminster is in err. There is an 8.3" difference between our reports which isn't a small margin of error. I did everything textbook I think. Used a 4x4 white snowboard as the platform to take measurements, it was isolated in the center of a 2+ acre field with nothing to obstruct measurements (no trees, no shrubs, no fence, etc), the location was flat/level it wasn't a valley nor a hilltop, I took measurements throughout the storm and one at the end in 4 different spots on the board and then took an avg of those 4 as my 'unofficial' snowfall measurement. Is there anything that I did incorrectly? I will say that based on other reports from the nws around the general county area, my total is a few inches too high. I wonder why that is?

Ralph and the Allentown area get the coveted lollipop award

hqdefault_zpsobmpa3ll.jpg

I don't think it really works like that ;)  Most people wait until the storm is over and plop a ruler/yardstick in the ground after the wind has smacked their snow down plus the compaction that would have happened anyway.  That is why you have so many 25-28" readings, then this one smaller area that got 32"......the 25" areas really had the same amount.  Heck, just one yard from the next gives several inches of difference due to drifting.  (even if you totally average each yard out, they are still often different)

Well, I'm not sure if I'm in err or the 'trained spotter' from Warminster is in err. There is an 8.3" difference between our reports which isn't a small margin of error. I did everything textbook I think. Used a 4x4 white snowboard as the platform to take measurements, it was isolated in the center of a 2+ acre field with nothing to obstruct measurements (no trees, no shrubs, no fence, etc), the location was flat/level it wasn't a valley nor a hilltop, I took measurements throughout the storm and one at the end in 4 different spots on the board and then took an avg of those 4 as my 'unofficial' snowfall measurement. Is there anything that I did incorrectly? I will say that based on other reports from the nws around the general county area, my total is a few inches too high. I wonder why that is?

If the snowboard was elevated above the surrounding snow on the ground everything seems good to me.

Ralph, did you have an average depth of 31" at the end? Your suppose to measure every six hours then clear the board and then set it on top of the snow. Repeat every 6 hours until the end. Were you measuring every few hours or hour then adding it up? Thy would inflate totals a bit, but not crazy I don't think.

If your depth was actually 31"at the end, then snowfall would have been HIGHER because of compaction, maybe 33". But that does seem high compared to others nearby.

8" is a pretty big difference, but maybe the spotter was on the wrong side of those death bands.

Ralph, did you have an average depth of 31" at the end? Your suppose to measure every six hours then clear the board and then set it on top of the snow. Repeat every 6 hours until the end. Were you measuring every few hours or hour then adding it up? Thy would inflate totals a bit, but not crazy I don't think.

If your depth was actually 31"at the end, then snowfall would have been HIGHER because of compaction, maybe 33". But that does seem high compared to others nearby.

I did not clear the board at all, was not aware this was a requirement. I was going out to measure several times during the storm. Final measurements I got at around 10:30pm last night were: 31.6". 31.6", 31.2", 31.2" for an avg of 31.4" for final storm total.

Not a big deal, the official snow total from Warminster is what the nws will go with so thats what I will go with too I guess? I just wanted to make sure I did everything correctly for next time.

Thanks for the replies!

I did not clear the board at all, was not aware this was a requirement. I was going out to measure several times during the storm. Final measurements I got at around 10:30pm last night were: 31.6". 31.6", 31.2", 31.2"

Not a big deal, the official snow total from Warminster is what the nws will go with so thats what I will go with too I guess? I just wanted to make sure I did everything correctly for next time.

Thanks for the replies!

So that was depth?

8" is a pretty big difference, but maybe the spotter was on the wrong side of those death bands.

This was how I did my measuring, but noticed something that I could use some help with.

My first measurement was 3.8" at 12:30.

Cleared the board and placed on top of the existing snow.

Noticed at 1:30am (or so) that the board had hardly anything on it and it was definitely

coming down pretty good (maybe close to an inch/hr). The wind was blowing it right off the board.

How do you account for that lost depth on the next measurement?

What I ended up doing was measuring multiple areas in the front and back yards and averaging 

out which came to 12.5". Snow board had just under 7" on it (so total, if using just the snowboard would have been 10.8).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

This was how I did my measuring, but noticed something that I could use some help with.

My first measurement was 3.8" at 12:30.

Cleared the board and placed on top of the existing snow.

Noticed at 1:30am (or so) that the board had hardly anything on it and it was definitely

coming down pretty good (maybe close to an inch/hr). The wind was blowing it right off the board.

How do you account for that lost depth on the next measurement?

What I ended up doing was measuring multiple areas in the front and back yards and averaging

out which came to 12.5". Snow board had just under 7" on it (so total, if using just the snowboard would have been 10.8).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Yea, because it was so windy and the snow was more on the powdery side it was really hard to get accurate measurements if you were doing it the clear every 6 hours method. Almost impossible really in this storm.

I think the NWS and CO-OP do 1 measurement every 24 hours, not sure though. CoCoRaHS asks for board clearing every 6 hours(that's where I am an observer) I think many were just doing a final depth measurment when the snow stopped and that was the total, which is fine really because like you said it was so hard to accurate readings. I think that's what Ralph did and if it was a non drifted area it should provide a somewhat accurate measurment. Like I said,some agencies only require 1 measurment very 24 hours.

Archived