joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-24th Blizzard Observation and Snow Reports

The Iceman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, nice. There was one last band up by Allentown, not sure if it can hold up but that will do it. Ugh, so sad to say goodbye.

Edit: Just looked at weeniecast, it's a no go.

I had been watching a surface map and within the past hour or so, the coastal low dropped to the SE, so it's apparently pulling the bands away with it.  Unless it can/does refuel, we may have reached the end game.

NE Philly got a tad screw job. Anyone have my total? There's no place near me to measure. We had multiple dry slots all day. Even this evening, that NYC stuff is going to miss us E a bit. I hate complaining during a Historic storm, but I bet I only got like 16" or so, compared to 30" in Warminster for example. 

I feel the exact same way. 90% of our snow seemed to fall last night when I was sleeping. Hardly saw a flake all day! By the time the band finally moved through it was dark again. Somehow, I have 18" of snow on my patio but saw very little of it actually fall from the sky. This storm had a wicked, persistent dry slot and we were stuck in in for what seemed like an eternity. I feel bad complaining about a foot and a half of snow, but it certainly feels like a bit of a screw job indeed. 

Last time I checked, the official number at the AC Airport was 9 inches. However, in Atlantic City itself, I would estimate that number to be 6 inches or so. Dry slot/rain most of the day, with quite a bit of it melting during the day. Drove into AC around 2:30 PM. Clear roads. Didn't go back to light snow about 3:3o or so. An inch or two on top of that. Main issue was flooding (depending on where you live). No flooding at my house.

Zionsville, PA - Lehigh County

Final Obs for storm: Snow began 1/22/2016 at 6:00 p.m. and ended 1/23/2016 at 9:00 p.m. (27 consecutive hours of snow fall)

2.0" snow accumulation from 6:00 p.m. through 11:59 p.m. 1/22/2016

26.0" snow accumulation from 12:00 a.m. through 9:00 p.m. on 1/23/2016

Storm total snow accumulation: 28.0"

Near Honey Brook. Have some good elevation here too at 850 ft.

It's not official CoCoRaHS standards, but measured 16" for first snowblow of driveway around 10am and then 9.5" around 4pm at second snowblow. 2" since that time.

So 27.5" total. Depth is probably more like 25"

I can vouch, here in Lionville we finished with somewhere between 27-28". Kind of difficult finding an area that wasn't fully affected by the wind. Great storm, glad I came back to witness it! 

Looks like we're about done here.  Just some flurries and blowing snow.  That Allentown band looks like it is disintegrating as the low drifts away but we may get sideswiped a bit by what's left of it if lucky.  Central/South Jersey & N, Delaware are getting the last blast.  Will wait until tomorrow to get a measurement if I can find a smoothed out spot since there's a lot of drifting out there.

OBS flurries, temp 25.5F

Winds light, NW

I think this made up for the record-breaking December and the AC that I was running a couple days before Christmas. :lmao:

Considering I expected to be on the northern fringe watching chaos to the south and southeast, I'm obviously giddy about having seen the largest single-storm snowfall in my life. At 31-32", it beat the 29" I saw in Parsippany, NJ back in 1996.  I'm glad my kids are old enough to remember this (9 and 6), though I'm a little sad that they probably(?) just saw the biggest snowstorm they'll ever see.

At least they got to play and didn't have to shovel. :)

'Only' 18.5 inches of snow here in the Morganville section of Marlboro Twp. Monmouth County. Like PB GFI said we had a slight dry slot here for a bit which kept our totals down. Still snowing here though so may add another inch? Enjoy the snow everyone! Sledding for us tomorrow at either Holmdel Park or Monmouth Battlefield St.Park.

Kamu, I'll take some pics of snow mounds tomorrow! Hahaha

post-2166-0-47416100-1453610281_thumb.jp

post-2166-0-50840600-1453610328_thumb.jp

post-2166-0-38406100-1453610390_thumb.jp

post-2166-0-67966700-1453610412_thumb.jp

Did one last shovel (#6) - toughest one as the plows had just come by and tossed all the heavy wet stuff into the mouth of my driveway.  Anyway, after that I took a quick spin to the middle school since I knew that was the only place I could get a good measurement. Final tally for Metuchen was 22", which is the 3rd most I've seen in my 24 years in Metuchen (28" for Jan-96 and 23" for Dec-2010).  Helluva storm.

Walt posted an RER for PHL for today -

SXUS71 KPHI 232144
RERPHL

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
0444 PM EST SAT JAN 23 2016

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET TODAY AT PHILADELPHIA PA...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 14.7 INCHES WAS SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA TODAY,
JANUARY 23RD 2016.  THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 11.9 SET IN 1935.

THIS AMOUNT WILL INCREASE THIS EVENING AND AN UPDATED RECORD EVENT
REPORT WILL BE ISSUED AROUND 135 AM SUNDAY.

$$

DRAG

Whoda thunk?  NAM told Euro - "I'll show you. I'll NAM 'em for real!"  :lmao:

(and I still remember the Euro's epic fail for the 1/27/15 storm).

I love this post Agnes. Although I believe the NAM often does this on Miller A's. I remember one a few years back where it scored big.

Considering I expected to be on the northern fringe watching chaos to the south and southeast, I'm obviously giddy about having seen the largest single-storm snowfall in my life. At 31-32", it beat the 29" I saw in Parsippany, NJ back in 1996.  I'm glad my kids are old enough to remember this (9 and 6), though I'm a little sad that they probably(?) just saw the biggest snowstorm they'll ever see.

At least they got to play and didn't have to shovel. :)

I saw a 36" storm in 1972 when I was 8.  It is the biggest snowfall I will probably ever see.  We weren't allowed outside without supervision because my mother thought we'd get lost.  Having said that, I still have fond personal memories of the Blizzard of 78, the Blizzard of 83, Superstorm of 93, January 1996, PDI and PDII and on and on.  All were over 20 inch storms and all had unique qualities that go beyond final totals.  5" of snow in an hour.  The high drifts.  The howling winds.  The low visibilities.  I guess that's a lot of words to say 'don't sweat it".  Your kids will be fine.

Archived