joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 2016 obs/nowcast - the fight for the North

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low levels won't be a problem, but there still is a fair amount of dry air at 850 mb that needed to be overcome on the 12z CHH sounding.

More importantly GYX has PWAT of 0.11 at 12z...north winds will be killer on the northern edge.

Dry air has been overplayed for days in my opinion. The reality is the storm is off the coast of the del marva, occluding 500+ miles south of SNE and the confluence causing it to redevelop ENE, well east of the BM is the major fly in the ointment for eastern New England. I'd be watching for upper level height rises east of CC, rather than focusing on mid level dry air.

1030 AM UPDATE...

SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE ONGOING FORECAST. STRONG SNOWBAND HAS
SET UP ACROSS LONG ISLAND TO BLOCK ISLAND AND ONTO NANTUCKET. THIS
BAND IS THE FOCUS FOR THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL. PORTIONS OF LONG
ISLAND HAS RECEIVED SNOWFALL RATES OF 3 INCHES PER HOUR AND
ANTICIPATE THAT TO IMPACT BI AND MVY AND THE SOUTH COAST OF
SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. THIS BAND IS IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT WITH
INTENSE LIFT/OMEGA IN THE 12Z NAM. IN FACT F-GEN SHOWS THIS BAND
MAKING ALL THE WAY UP INTO CENTRAL CT...RI AND SOUTHEAST MASS. WE
REALLY LIKE THE LATEST NAM AND RAP QPF GUIDANCE WHICH SHOWS THE
TIGHT QPF GRADIENT. ONLY ISSUE IS THE LATEST HRRR DOES SHOW A
DROP OFF IN QPF ACROSS NORFOLK/BRISTOL COUNTIES SO HAVE A LOWER
CONFIDENCE IN THERE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. PERHAPS THE HRRR IS ONTO
THE DRIER AIR THAT THE BAND WILL HAVE TO PUSH THROUGH. IF THE BAND
MAKES IT UP THERE THEN AMOUNTS WILL BE CLOSER TO 10 INCHES. BUT IF
IT DOESNT THEN AMOUNTS WILL BE CLOSER TO 5 INCHES...AGAIN LOWER
CONFIDENCE.

THEREFORE WENT AHEAD AND UPGRADED THE ADVISORIES TO WARNINGS
ACROSS CT/RI AND SE MASS AND ADDED A TIER OF ADV INTO WORCESTER TO
SUFFOLK COUNTIES. AS MENTIONED IN PREV AFD THERE WILL BE A VERY
TIGHT GRADIENT FROM SIGNIFICANT SNOW TO VERY LITTLE.

Dry air has been overplayed for days in my opinion. The reality is the storm is off the coast of the del marva, occluding 500+ miles south of SNE and the confluence causing it to redevelop ENE, well east of the BM is the major fly in the ointment for eastern New England. I'd be watching for upper level height rises east of CC, rather than focusing on mid level dry air.

It all ties in. It wouldn't bother me if we had a better thrust of PVA/WAA to the north. But expecting this arm to pivot into BOS and deliver greater than 6" by Italy while getting eaten alive may be tough IMO.

Isn't it all part of the same problem? Confluence, high pressure, dry air.

Fact is SNE is under pretty good divergence aloft, on the fringe of WAA, and it's still a struggle to get visibility to drop under 2SM.

It all ties in. It wouldn't bother me if we had a better thrust of PVA/WAA to the north. But expecting this arm to pivot into BOS and deliver greater than 6" by Italy while getting eaten alive may be tough IMO.

I guess I'm not seeing this as the preexisting banding pivoting. I'm reading the higher amounts along Eastern New England as a result of the redevelopment and second "quasi" occlusion, if you will.

So far that band matches the best 850-700 mb f-gen the best, so I would watch how that trends over the next couple of hours.

It's moved very little in the last two hours, and is starting to shift east slightly. So I'm guessing more agonizing radar returns until the afternoon reorganization of mid levels occurs.

I guess I'm not seeing this as the preexisting banding pivoting. I'm reading the higher amounts along Eastern New England as a result of the redevelopment and second "quasi" occlusion, if you will.

The picture in my head is that this band hangs out near its current location, and as the redevelopment occurs this afternoon a weakened version of it may bump into SE MA or redevelop into SE MA. 

Yeah that's the second development. But it's fighting all the issues previously mentioned. As the ULL starts to dumbell east, the thrust of this may lose the WNW punch it will have later today. But cape cod will get smacked for sure. We always have dry air to start for the big ones thanks to that confluence. It's what helps supply cold. This time, the system just passes a bit too far SE to give us the goods.

Archived