• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 23/24 2016 obs/nowcast - the fight for the North

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

On the the direct ocean in Weekapaug, further west had 10-11 Ashaway RI, I'd say probably 8 ish on the border, will know at lunch heading that way

I would guess about 8 to maybe 10 in Stonington as well. When I left downtown Westerly around 11am on Saturday morning - the snow was just starting to increase, there was little more than a dusting and the roads were just wet - as I got towards Weekapaug/Shelter Harbor - we already had over an inch - it was snowing heavily and the roads were snow covered. Noticeable difference. And as I noted above, we kept snowing along the immediate coast for a while after the RI hole opened up.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Will. I grew up in SE MA and watched the weather closely, and I also cannot recall that feature. I feel like you need a deeper standing wave to generate subsidence that deep?

I mean clearly there has been no change in the local area that could force this. But I'm guessing there is a very specific set of variables that comes together for this. Lift probably needs to be shallower, maybe even mesoscale subsidence aloft between stronger bands, and clearly outside of WAA precip.

According to Kocin, the prelim rating for this storm on the NESIS scale is 7.49...that would be 5th behind March 1993, January 1996, March 1960, and Feb 2003 (PDII). PDII was a 7.50 rating so the final number may be higher and vault this storm into 4th place.

edit: That is Kocin's rating, and not the NCDC NESIS rating. They differ somewhat...PDII is much higher than this one on Kocin's rating so it won't pass that storm.

Let me know what you saw, I was fighting with a lack of observations from the area.

Foxwoods 5 Nstonington 7 Pawcatuck 8 Westerly downtown 8 Ashaway 10 Westerly shore 12,all according to reliable friends and pretty much confirmed on my lunch trip to see Mom in the nursing home near downtown Westerly

Foxwoods 5 Nstonington 7 Pawcatuck 8 Westerly downtown 8 Ashaway 10 Westerly shore 12,all according to reliable friends and pretty much confirmed on my lunch trip to see Mom in the nursing home near downtown Westerly

Thanks, I'll add those to the map in the blog section, but pretty much lines up with the second and final iteration of the map.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived