• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

It's south, way south, but there's always a season in Antarctica.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/antarctic-support-contract.html

I had a former coworker who had done it and loved it. Almost made me wish I had practical skills...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intriguing idea, but I dont think I am cut out for that degree of extreme lol. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

driving around. Lots of work to be done on the roads. disappearing lanes everywhere. No turn lanes. Forget about bus stops. Tomorrow's commute will be a nightmare. I've only seen one truck and I've been driving for 45 minutes.

There's a ton of hard packed snow on side roads. I've seen ppl park their cars right on the road, two cars deep. There's simply nowhere to put the snow and nowhere to put the car lol.

Bus stops?

There are no bus stops. Last night during my life altering snow jebwalk, I was walking on Dale Blvd on top of a frozen snow berm. I was at the bus stop, standing taller than the bus stop sign. Its surreal.

driving around. Lots of work to be done on the roads. disappearing lanes everywhere. No turn lanes. Forget about bus stops. Tomorrow's commute will be a nightmare. I've only seen one truck and I've been driving for 45 minutes.

Drove from Rockville to DCA this morning...the exits and entrances to 495 were interesting, and the randomly shrinking or disappearing lanes on the GW Parkway was a nice touch. Saw a sedan that lodged itself on the snow bank at the exit for the Pentagon. Good stuff.

WB, I went with 20" storm total. I worked at it. Same caveats as everyone. The closest spotter report is 24" in Belcamp. I think my total might be conservative too, but otoh I don't think that difference is unbelievable, for ex. they prob got more Bel Air deathband edge

I never expect to be a totals winner so no pressure there, haha. This was a great storm, big snow, long duration...happiness.

APG: "Over the last three days, APG has endured a record setting 29 inches of snow and sustained high winds producing significant snowdrifts up to and in excess of 4 feet."

:unsure:

Similar in our neighborhood. We're on a cul-de-sac (which itself branches off a dead end street) and haven't had anything yet. People have mostly shoveled out walkways and driveways to the street, but our street and the one we're attached to need to be plowed before anyone's getting anywhere. This is inside the Beltway, too, so I can only assume that more rural parts of MoCo are just as bad.

I'm in Silver Spring just outside the Beltway. A front end loader came through Monday morning and most of my neighborhood is clear. I drove to downtown SS this morning and at some points southbound Rt. 29 has only one lane out of 3 clear. If OPM opens tomorrow and those lanes aren't cleared by then the commute will be a nightmare. 

MCDOT crews are plowing in all neighborhoods. Crews will complete a first pass on every County neighborhood street by 7 a.m. Wednesday.  This first pass will make every street accessible.   After 7 a.m. on Wednesday, if a plow truck has not been down your street, please report it as a Missed Street using the online Snow Operations Map (below), or through the County’s 311 system. Please be assured that crews will return to further clean up streets and intersections.   Crews are working around the clock to address the record snowfall – so please be patient. Be aware that due to the high number of users, the Snow Operations Map may take a few moments to load.

Still not plowed out yet. Hope they do it by tomorrow...

So much for school tomorrow

The response in MoCo seems slower than that after feb 5/6 2010

I've been going on YouTube and looking up TWC or any news coverage of the storm. I don't have TWC and I was too worried about the snow hole I was in to watch any local news coverage Saturday morning. Once the hole filled in at about 2pm and I was relaxed again and could watch coverage. I didn't want to watch the news and have to see the radar or reporters who were in other areas getting dumped on. It would of made me even angrier. Yes I know it's sick. So now that it's over I can go back and watch the stuff I missed.

I went ahead and improved my timelapse video. It now has the most fitting music in the world, and no more cursing at my camera.

Is it possible to check whether or not thundersnow occured in or around Clarksburg, MD at around 10:30AM on 1/23/16? One frame is super-overexposed and I have no idea what could have caused it.

Archived