• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

NASA knows that the space program is bunk and satellites aren't real. They need all those people to come and continue to draw pretty storm picture. Plus, we all know they control the weather, so they need to make sure the weather generator keeps running lest we all get disappointed.

Those are the only two logical reason for countering OPM that I can think of.

Mods never ban this guy. I love reading the insanity.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's record the heck out of this storm. Get your cameras, cams, pencil and paper, paint, Snipping Tool, Tivo, whatever you need to capture this storm for the archives. This will be the storm we tell our grandkids about! Woo hoo!

Started a photo thread... a bit lonely in there..!

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47708-photos-thread-for-jan-22-24-blizzard/ 

8 days of tracking this and its HERE. While it felt like a long time and we would never get to this day, it is the chase that is the most fun. This week has been excellent.

This! The last week I've had little sleep and have been an emotional roller coaster...but wouldn't change a thing. This is the stuff we dream of in the winter.

Enjoy everyone, can't wait for the booming obs thread!

Got my first flakes speech all ready for my wife and daughter (yes, I can be a pompous git...); we missed 09-10 so this will be our biggest even if it underperforms:

In 1772, while these were still the American Colonies, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, living about 100 miles apart, both kept diaries. And in their diaries, that winter, both write of a vast snowstorm, greater than any seen in living memory. Washington describes snow up to the chest of his horses; Jefferson relates how he had to abandon his carriage and make his way at night in the furious storm to get home.

For many years, weather historians (there are such things!) have wondered whether Washington and Jefferson's accounts could be accurate. Can this region really see a blizzard that drops three feet of snow beyond the mountains? Can the climate support it? Even the greatest storms on record have dropped only about 21 inches in Richmond, and 28 inches in Washington, almost 100 years ago.

In the next 36 hours, we will find out. We still don't know if this storm will rival the Washington-Jefferson storm, or even if it will capture the modern records;- but it could. But for now, let's watch these first flakes fall, and enjoy a weekend that only nature can grant, and even then, rarely.

Got my first flakes speech all ready for my wife and daughter (yes, I can be a pompous git...); we missed 09-10 so this will be our biggest even if it underperforms:

In 1772, while these were still the American Colonies, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, living about 100 miles apart, both kept diaries. And in their diaries, that winter, both write of a vast snowstorm, greater than any seen in living memory. Washington describes snow up to the chest of his horses; Jefferson relates how he had to abandon his carriage and make his way at night in the furious storm to get home.

For many years, weather historians (there are such things!) have wondered whether Washington and Jefferson's accounts could be accurate. Can this region really see a blizzard that drops three feet of snow beyond the mountains? Can the climate support it? Even the greatest storms on record have dropped only about 21 inches in Richmond, and 28 inches in Washington, almost 100 years ago.

In the next 36 hours, we will find out. We still don't know if this storm will rival the Washington-Jefferson storm, or even if it will capture the modern records;- but it could. But for now, let's watch these first flakes fall, and enjoy a weekend that only nature can grant, and even then, rarely.

Very nice Josh.  Sweet memory for the family.

Bristsnow is ready as well

So is Snowverlea.

School system went ahead and announced the closure yesterday before I even left work, which made this morning nice and easy.  (Well, as easy as it can be with a teething baby.)  Just have to pick up our CSA basket this morning since deliveries are cancelled for tomorrow, and then watch the storm roll in.

Mods never ban this guy. I love reading the insanity.

I'm going out on a limb that that was obvious sarcasm in response to my whining that NASA was playing the "normal work day unless anything changes" card today.

I thought it was funny.

Yes, sarcasm. Banter thread, we're all going a little batty with anticipation, so let's have some fun. It really is a particularly strange decision for NASA out in the burbs so people aren't using metro. I know hey are further north, but seriously. It's not rocket science, which is maybe why they don't get it.

I love this, thanks for posting.

Archived