Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in a 2-story brick condo apartment building in Old Town Alexandria built in 1942. We have a flat roof. Do I need to worry about my roof collapsing?

I asked the same question, then found this article which may put you at ease a bit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/20/how-much-snow-is-too-much-for-your-roof/

There's also the simple fact that a building built 70+ years ago has withstood big snow before just fine. The ridiculous wind Saturday may help clear it off roofs too (or build heavy drifts if there's an adjoining taller building).

Seriously the "I'm so a'skeered" posts are getting ridiculous.  It's a snowstorm.  This isn't the 19th century.  Even if by some epic act of a higher being 3 feet falls area-wide, we'll all be snowed in for at most a few days.

The roof collapse concerns seem overdone to me, but potentially going several days without power and sub freezing temperatures is pretty insufferable to imagine.  And beginning to seem inevitable for some.  I would not discount the potential impacts here.

Seriously the "I'm so a'skeered" posts are getting ridiculous.  It's a snowstorm.  This isn't the 19th century.  Even if by some epic act of a higher being 3 feet falls area-wide, we'll all be snowed in for at most a few days.

I'm sure more or less everyone on this board will be just fine, but what about those without a permanent address? Those requiring home medical care, or meals-on-wheels? This is without a doubt a dangerous situation for many.

Consider, though, that an awful lot of DC residents are not DC natives. There are people around here, myself included, who consider 10" of snow to be the snow of a lifetime. I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder what else we need to prepare for (or keep an eye on) in the unlikely event we see 3'+.

There are also additional concerns for power outages with each additional inch of snow, and extended power outages in the winter suck. I'm rooting for epic snow along with most, but I also recognize that at some point it will stop being fun. And, for a lot of other people (poor, elderly, sick, etc) it will be downright dangerous.

The roof collapse concerns seem overdone to me, but potentially going several days without power and sub freezing temperatures is pretty insufferable to imagine. And beginning to seem inevitable for some. I would not discount the potential impacts here.

Yup, tell me about it. Out here by the bay we get extra wind meaning even better chances of losing power. Plus less snow to boot.

I asked the same question, then found this article which may put you at ease a bit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/20/how-much-snow-is-too-much-for-your-roof/

There's also the simple fact that a building built 70+ years ago has withstood big snow before just fine. The ridiculous wind Saturday may help clear it off roofs too (or build heavy drifts if there's an adjoining taller building).

Excellent point!

I'm sure more or less everyone on this board will be just fine, but what about those without a permanent address? Those requiring home medical care, or meals-on-wheels? This is without a doubt a dangerous situation for many.

Agreed. Overall its gonna be fun. But the big concern is if someone needs medical care (ie. Heart attack) or something. The ambulances aint moving in 3 feet either.

:o  :o  :o I'm thinking we are going to see that from Matt at about 1 a.m.

Well, we can hope.  I've heard that the Euro tends to follow what the UKMet does, but I have a feeling that's mostly urban myth.  Maybe a grain of truth, who knows.  At any rate, I hope the Euro has a better-looking/more expansive precip field overall at least.

There have been days... over a week... to prepare for those corner cases.  In any event, that doesn't seem to be the demographic posting here that they're terrified.

BTW, is that the new politically correct term? "those without a permanent address"

Archived